SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyann19

My plants have mealy bugs, do I throw everything away?

cyann19
6 years ago

Hello, Ive collected a bunch of cacti and succulents over the passed five months (indoor) I put them all in a room with plant lights and they were doing okay for a while but then I noticed gnats and someone told me a couple of my cacti had scale and mealy bugs so I threw those ones away. (I figured they were from the new greenhouse I recently bought those ones from.) I know I probably should have done something sooner about it.but at this point I think it's bad, and they should all be tossed. Theres gnats everywhere and I'm pretty sure they're all infested... I know I know I feel like a horrible plant mother. But before I made an account and got into these plants I read through some of these threads and everyone was saying 50% cactus and succulent soil and 50% perlite. So that's what they have been in. They only got watered every two weeks. And they ALL grew. But now I see that more people are saying "gritty mix" so I'm not really sure what that is. I'm hoping to start over. I know I'm going to have to throw away all of the plants. Bleach/clean the pots they were in. And clean the entire room and everything. I also want to switch to a "gritty mix" but my question IS am I going to have to just completely throw all of them away? I have like 25 succulents, 20 cacti, 6trays of propagating leaves. I also have regular houseplants in there too like spider plants,pothos....can I propagate the leaves off the succulents, and keep the babies from the spider plant? I know this is for just succulents and cacti but i was wondering if i could take cuttings from the pothos as well. I have 3 bunny ear cacti with alot of pads I was hoping I could save the pads to propagate, but was just wondering if I could do it or if it's just too risky to save anything.. Also what exactly should I buy for a gritty mix, when I do start over. Thanks to anyone who read this I appreciate any advice. Sorry for making it so long.

Comments (3)