SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nathan_andersen

Ficus Multi Trunk - Split, Fuse, or Multitrunk Bonsai

Nathan Andersen
6 years ago

I grabbed a few Ficus Benjamina plants from the store, and I am curious if there are options with what I can do with it, or if I'm just limited to either 1 or 2 options. I'm also curious if I should repot it or just let it grow for awhile. I realize that the trunk thickening happens best in ground and before repotting into bonsai pots, but the soil here is terrible in ground, so I'd either need to prep a big area or just let it grow in a bigger container with the original soil and bonsai soil to fill the rest of the pot.

The first tree is the one with the most potential to do many things trunk-wise in my opinion, could either fuse them together, multi trunk as a bonsai, but I'm not sure how the root system works as much to know if I would be able to split it into a few different single trunk ficus.

The last tree I have a feeling that none of the trunks stick out as the main trunk and I would either fuse these trunks or try to split it if at all possible. I'm also not sure if I can just trim all of the trunks and have it clump up or if that is just a super dumb idea (beginner here...haha)

Second Tree:

Last Tree:

Comment

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio