SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

My new garden border edging

Thanks to the "landscape workers" at my co-op, my polyresin garden border edging was beat all to heck by their careless use of lawnmowers. They had knocked chunks of the polyresin out and actually caved in the border (and recently, carelessly sprayed WEED KILLER right next to my garden, getting the leaves of several heuchies sprayed and damaging them). I decided that THIS was the year to replace the garden border on this side and the polyresin border on the other side with CONCRETE---haha, let them try to mess that up with their mowers! So I looked around for some nice border blocks and found some online at Home Depot. But Home Depot was driving me C-R-A-Z-Y! They feature these really nice-looking border edging blocks online, but then tell you that you have to order a whole pallet of 70 of them for $485. I only needed 25 for my little garden, but it was no deal. You buy 70 or you can't buy any. Not fair for small garden folks!

Then, I saw another border edging they had, called Landecor. It's cast cement faux rocks which are painted or tinted to look real. And they really do. But they were not, by themselves, high enough to contain my garden soil and mulch. So I went to 2 different brick-and-stone stores until I found some tan bricks which my eye told me perfectly complemented the faux rocks.

First, I excavated the lawn 12" out from the existing border and placing the excavated turf in bags after shaking as much soil as I could from them. That took me from 4:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Then I moved my heuchies out into the new space, after filling it in with new garden soil I had bought. The heuchies were getting a bit too intimate with the hostas and needed space of their own. We didn't want any trouble from the co-op manager, who is always looking to cause some, so my neighbor suggested I take all the bags of turf (incriminating EVIDENCE that I DUG!) and put them into my car, to put somewhere else later. My local garden center was very nice and removed them from my car for me and put them somewhere. I knew I had gone to the right place to buy the new garden soil I needed!

Finally, I put the bricks on the ground at the edge of the new border of the garden, the faux rocks, which interlock, on top of the bricks and voila! Eventually I will put a dab of adhesive between the bricks and the faux rocks, but I wanted to show you guys how nice it looks. I was getting compliments from passers-by even before I had finished the job. I like how it looks so much, I'm going to do the other side of the garden with the same stuff.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor