SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

Design Help Needed Round II: Gained 16 “

rantontoo
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After mulling FOREVER and trying my hardest to keep the current refrigerator location so I could keep the short 30” wall when entering the kitchen for a 33.5” deep refrigerator (to blunt impact of depth-cannot recess), I think(?) I get a better layout moving the fridge. On an earlier post this week, I asked if anyone regretted going from a standard fridge to a counter-depth one. The consensus was do it, and people provided many helpful insights and suggestions for making this work. I am still mulling whether adding two 24” fridge drawers to the island is necessary for our needs and a justifiable cost at the expense of lost storage space.

This layout follows ice-water-stone-fire which none of my other attempted layouts accomplished (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4525456/delayed-3-years-but-gained-16need-layout-advice?n=34), but the largest perimeter prep span is 30”. Is that awful if I have an island? Eliminating the wall oven/microwave cabinet and using a 30” induction range gains me more perimeter prep space, but my preference is a wall oven/microwave cabinet if I can get a functional design.

I have questions/concerns about the island: orientation and what to include. I could find no official “guideline/rule” concerning island orientation but saw poster recommendations for long side across from the cook-top; any advice on that is appreciated. Another question concerns an island prep sink. Is one needed in this layout if I am the main cook?

The only close upper cabinet storage is an 18” upper above the dishwasher, glasses will go there. If I orientate the long side of the island across from the dishwasher wall, drawer storage is close for plates and bowls. If I put the long side across from the cook-top wall, plates and bowls have to find a less convenient “home.” I could have a short-side, 24” drawer stack open across from the dishwasher while the rest of the island drawers would open toward the cook-top wall, but then the garbage/recycling cabinet needs to move. I need help on thinking through this!

The dreaded corner in an L-shaped kitchen… I do not want a corner-susan; I have one now and cannot wait for it to be gone. My DH likes the idea of a corner-drawer stack, but there’s not a lot of GW “love” when it comes to corner-drawer stacks; I wonder why? Would it be better to void the corner instead to have a 12” space for a pullout and a 30” space for a drawer stack (with needed fillers for door/handle clearance on both)? Will that give me a 9” pullout and a 27” drawer stack? The corner-drawer stack leaves me 18” lowers on both sides of the cook-top. What would you do?

Still to be decided: a) 27”deep counters and 13.5 deep uppers b) eliminate short wall at kitchen entry to gain valuable inches; DH wants to keep the short wall; I cut from 30” to to 25” long.

I am open to all help, advice, opinions, and ideas. The window and French door (one side opens) cannot move, but plumbing and electrical can move as needed, and cabinets will be custom.

A. Dishwasher/Long-Side Island

B. Cook-top/Long-Side Island

Rough House Diagram

Comments (12)