SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreweth

Help growing Bloodroot?

Andrew
6 years ago

For the last 3 years, I have been trying to introduce bloodroot into my woods. The first year, in midsummer, I sowed a bunch seeds all over the place with no success. Early the second year (last year), I planted a bunch of bare-root plants in a variety of areas. Nothing came up. A friend of mine gave me a plant with a leaf and seedpod on it. I put that out there too. It didn't come back this year. No bloodroot is surviving anywhere.

It seems strange, as I've also planted a bunch of other spring ephemerals with moderate success. Trilliums, Jack-in-the-pulpet, Virginia Bluebells, and even club mosses have been successfully introduced out there. I just can't get bloodroot.

I do have heavy clay soil with a pH around 7-7.5 (according to a cheap pH reader I have), so maybe that's the issue. It just seems strange that I have such a wide variety of plants out there, but bloodroot- which is referred to as easy-growing- can't make it.

Plants surviving out there include: white & red trillium, Jack-in-the-pulpet, Virginia bluebells, clubmosses, NY ferns, sensitive ferns, Christmas ferns, spring beauties, trout lilies, dutchman's breeches, herb-Robert, wild geranium, early blue cohosh, virginia creeper, wild strawberries, bellwort, toothwart, and a variety of violets.

It seems like there's everything EXCEPT bloodroot.

Any input is appreciated!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm