SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmarino19

Refinishing Original Pine Paneling 1954 Ranch

jmarino19
6 years ago

The first photo is from the listing for our home. (Original owner's things.) The second and third photos show what I've been working on for 2 years. We are trying to keep the original paneling and beams by refinishing. My question is whether this looks better? (We have the bubble lights tied high while we are working; they usually hang at the right height above the dinning table.) Refinihsing the paneling and beams is labor intensive and it would be good to hear whether it's having any benefit. Painting the whole space would be easier! But not necessarily best-right for my house.

The house is a 1954 mid-century ranch. It's all one open living space. The walls and ceiling are constructed of 3/4" tongue and groove pine paneling. The beams are oak. The ceiling was painted white long ago and we cannot strip or sand it down. We will repair and repaint. The walls in the living areas are mostly still wood, though they have darkened with age. Also there are deep water damaged spots from the previous owner'S wall-hung plants. Our goal is to sand the walls and beams to refresh and lighten the space and diminish visible wear and damage. We have cut back overgrown trees and shrubs but we have not yet removed several large tress that likely need to be taken down. Even after the trees are down, the public half of the house faces west and we have 4' eaves, we are in the northeast, and does not get tons of bright sunlight. The photos below show the other half of the house. First photo is the real estate listing and the second photo as it is now.

At some point in the distant future we would refinish the floors in a lighter finish. We have removed the colonial style crown molding that was added in the 1970s and we will replace it with plain flatstock trim that was used elsewhere in the house and at the floor transition.

Comments (6)