SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexmacgregorgee

Found a bargain on some ficus trees... what now?

I feel like I'm spamming at this point... this is a post I made in Figs and then Bonsai and now in House Plants. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

At a local garage sale yesterday I purchased four ficus trees for a couple bucks a piece, with the idea of possibly turning at least a few of them into bonsais. I believe the species is the Benjamina, but these are actually my first ficus trees ever and I figured I would check with the pros here.

All of them seem to be in relatively good health. The root balls were damp when purchased and have since been potted around to fill what I had on hand pot-wise. New growth is appearing in several places on each tree. I think they were hit by a storm or something, but the woman assured me they'd bounce back strong.

Some pictures:

Plant A

Plant B

Plant C

Plant D

1. Are these healthy enough that I can chop them down a little? I tried to read up on ficus yesterday, and understand that Benjamina don't handle chopping the trunk very well. I figured I could take care of the roots and put them into some containers with gritty mix, but how much can I prune off? I am most excited about trying to bonsai a few of them, but would also like to have one nice, normal tree come out of the four.

2. Can I prune the roots and, if so, how much can I take off? I understand the relationship with roots to foliage, but if I'm wanting to bring the trunks way down eventually can I root prune harder right now?

3. In southeast Nebraska, could I plant one of these in the ground for the summer if I was trying to thicken it up/increase overall size?

4. Are there any suggested resources online, or books to get from the library for these plants?

I'm very eager to start working on these things.

And always, thanks so much for this message board. It's been a wonderful resource.

Comment