7 years ago

I hope y'all caught the hour-long show on carnivorous plants on
PBS. It was such a well-done and stunningly-photographed production, I
could pull myself away to type this heads-up. If you missed it, it is
well worth seeking out re-runs, or avail yourself of most PBS stations'
on-demand archives. Or, spring for the DVD...it's that good. It even
answered an evolutionary question I posted here several years ago that
did not get a single response.

Photography is superb with narration by naturalist Sir David Attenborough. It is not to be missed by all who appreciate CPs.

Cheers

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

I knew nothing about it. Have to look into it now.

• apg4
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well worth it. I couldn't pull myself away (edit function has disappeared....) but it covered just about every genera of CP, starting with sundews, snap-traps (even waterwheel plants) and, of course, the immensely varied family of pitchers. Lots of underwater photography of flora and fauna in the various pitchers. Also, images by the researcher that discovered a terrestrial neps (too damn big to hang...) on Mt. Kinnabalu in Borneo that was capable of drowning rats.

Now that's big....

This same researcher had catalogued dozens of new species, some so site-specific that their entire worldwide range was limited to a handful of acres on a single hillside. He said he had climbed dozens of mountains, but there were something like 245 he had yet to explore. There's lots more species out there left to discover....

• purslanegarden
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think I've linked that video before from Youtube. I found another link here (this one has Spanish subs but English dialogue). It was a great video that I wateched with lots of interest when I first found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6m2R3awgac

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

Well I watched it this morning. Excellent program but they left out butterworts!

• drich30099
    6 years ago

My 6 yr old grandson watches it over and over!! Now I have to find him some!!

• apg4
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Local PBS affiliate aired it - and one on orchids - two days ago during the afternoon....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting