SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashleyd605

Alnwick Rose really struggling?

ashleyd605
7 years ago

I bought an Austin rose last year -- Alnwick -- and potted it. It grew well, we had a bit of a struggle with some blackspot and japanese beetles, but overall it flowered and stayed in somewhat good condition. I pulled the pot in and overwintered it in the garage underneath a workbench. Admittedly, I forgot to keep it covered, so it was exposed to light. It went dormant, and this spring it started to put on some tender new growth, and plenty of it! Once temperatures stopped hitting freezing a few weeks ago, I fertilized and brought the pot outside to try to harden off the plant and get it acclimated to being outdoors again. It's facing ESE, slightly sheltered from wind, it gets sun for the first half the day. I brought it in on the coldest nights. One very windy day left me with a lot of snapped growth, but I figured it would come back.
Now, a few weeks in, with weather in the 60s and 70s, mix of rain and sun, the rose looks like crap. I haven't snapped pictures yet, but all the fresh growth is basically shriveling up and dying. Shoots that were green before the wind snapped their tips are turning brown all the way down the cane, new growth is limp, leaves are browning and dying. It looks like hell! I figured with all this nice weather, it would have been flourishing, not going to hell. Any ideas what's going on? It is watered deeply and regularly, though not every day because I didn't want it to get wet feet. Why would my rose be going limp and dying now that it's out?

Comments (8)