SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christina_sanford03

May Updates (AKA Chapter 3)

I've done my final transplanting! And I have baby strawberries :)

Here are some of my peppers, tomatoes and what have you.

Yay for spring!

Comments (62)

• Adam Chester
    7 years ago

I'm fighting pests as well. I've nearly finished culling the squirrel population in my yard. Four down, one to go. And no, the meat doesn't go to waste. I give it to my neighbors. They're basically tree rats as far as I'm concerned. They've been digging in my herb bed and my mother recently had to pay about $200 to have the lights on her vehicle fixed after the squirrels chewed some of the wires. There's also a giant rabbit that's been nibbling my plants but he's pretty elusive. I'll have to set a live trap for him and release him in the forest far away from my yard.

The deer are causing me the most grief. There's a heard of about half a dozen that wander into my yard at night. I've caught them on several occasions and no matter how many times I scare them off, they always return. I've planted a lot of saplings around my yard and they've nipped off almost every one of them. They also attacked my grape vines. I've since put cages around the grape vines and mixed tufts of dog hair into the mulch around my trees but I doubt that will deter them for long. It's very frustrating because they have 200,000 acres of national forest just across the street from my house - a giant deer buffet - yet they choose to eat the stuff in my yard.

I apologize to all the animal lovers out there but I truly hate deer. I hit three of them in two years in my car, eventually totaling it because they can't seem to stay off the roads. They cause untold damage around here. I think they were nearly eradicated decades ago until some geniuses decided it would be a good idea to repopulate them so hunters have something to shoot at. Not to mention the fact that they spread ticks like wildfire. Ugh... Sorry for the rant.

• Oladon
    7 years ago

Thanks, Kaylee! Research on the two-spotted stink bug revealed that there is indeed a tan variety that looks exactly like mine! Hurray for good bugs!

• Related Discussions

Winter Sowing Container Count aka "Zone Wars" 2012-2013 - #3

Q

Comments (150)
    ~ Container Count / Zone Wars ~ Zone Wars Summary: Zone 3 . . . . . . . . . . . 0 Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . 392 Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 2,286 Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 2,093 Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,792 Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 764 Zone 9 . . . . . . . . . 166 Total Containers: 7,493 Good morning, winter sowers - at least it's morning here in the US, although in the EU it is already afternoon, so Good afternoon to European winter sowers. Welcome to the 2012-13 count, SandyTowes, Marshallkey, Harborrose, and Silverkelt! SandyTowes, sorry to hear you still have lots of snow. Zone 4'ers are hardy! Harborrose, there are no measly containers in winter-sowing - "every container is important" - haha. I was away visiting elderly parents this past week, came back to almost all the snow melted. It's finally feeling a little Springy outside. If I don't post tomorrow, Happy Easter everybody! Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing Everybody ~ "Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day; And give us not to think so far away As the uncertain harvest; keep us here All simply in the springing of the year. Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white, Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night; And make us happy in the happy bees, The swarm dilating round the perfect trees. And make us happy in the darting bird That suddenly above the bees is heard, The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill, And off a blossom in mid air stands still. For this is love and nothing else is love, The which it is reserved for God above To sanctify to what far ends He will, But which it only needs that we fulfil." ...Robert Frost
    ...See More

UPDATE: obf's mmm of may's #2

Q

Comments (100)
    Good morning-Ladies I have let my secretary go, forgiven myself & moving onward & upward. Sending you all coffee & hugs this morning. What a special group of ladies we are! Welcome, Annie. I love your GW name. How did you come up with it? You can see what an imagination I have with the one I have! You will have a delightful time here, I am sure. This is post #100 so I am starting a new one with baskets sent & received (I hope I don't have to bring Hope back for this). Melissa-I want you to know you made my day with what you sent me yesterday. It had been a downer before that. Thanks so much. You are really doing what our theme was for this RR ASPIRE TO INSPIRE BEFORE WE EXPIRE I needed that inspiration yesterday, for sure! Blessings, Margaret
    ...See More

next chapter

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi - I don't know all your history but have kind of been following your plight. I think I've pretty much pieced the story together now based on this thread. I admire what you're doing to start a new life. I have always pretty much been at least an equal breadwinner in our household which gives a certain peace of mind if the marriage were to implode. I've often wondered how people handle things if they've been out of the workforce as it seems you have been and then there's an implosion. I feel like I'm now learning first hand. I think some people feel trapped in this situation. It sounds like you didn't and have been determined to start a new life no matter how difficult. I wish you the best.
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? May 3-5

Q

Comments (12)
    Wow.........tired just reading all the agendas. I plan on gathering more boughs of lilacs to bring in the kitchen. That's the only project cut in stone. ;-) I'll be up in the sewing room with my morning cuppa, as is the usual routine until my faculties all awaken. I've been busy making HST for a depression block quilt, and although for once I'd decided to make all the little blocks first and then sew them all together, my attention span just didn't cooperate. So, I have five 12" blocks made and many more to do. I work a little constructing the 3.5" blocks and a little while making another pattern block. Taking it slow and easy so they'll be precise. I fell in love with the depression block when it was a lotto block last year of K8's. At this rate, it shall probably take me a month to do the quilt top, but so far it's been very enjoyable.
    ...See More
  • Lizzie
    7 years ago

Adam, being from Iowa, I get the deer thing. EVERYONE hits one at some point and the damage done to vehicles is pretty bad. I love animals, but yeah.

First... I think cosmos. But it's my first one. Woo. I should have sown more liberally. With like everything.

Most definitely Empress of India here. The color is much deeper than the other ones. So pretty. Thanks, Kelli!

Lizzie

• Oladon
    7 years ago

Hmm. Found this little guy outside today:

He's obviously really young, but any ideas on what he might be? Bottom left looks like two little eyes and a little proboscis... maybe? Here's a view of his back:

And just to end on a positive note, check out these babies!

The squash seem like they aren't getting enough food, so I'm kicking up their dosage, but I'm thrilled by even this level of success!

They're spending their first night outside tonight, too.

• Adam Chester
    7 years ago

Oladon, that brings to mind a dragonfly nymph. I used to catch them in the creek as a kid. I know the nymphs have to be in water at some point in their life cycle but I'm not sure if they start off on land. They're great predators of mosquito larvae. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I am far from certain that it's a dragonfly.

Lizzie, I'm glad someone gets the frustration. I'm a live and let live kind of guy until a cute animal becomes an invasive pest. I can get away with thinning out squirrels but I can't get rid of the deer without getting myself into a moderate amount of trouble. I guess I'll have to learn to live with them, though I may end up borrowing my parents' (outdoor) dog for the summer so he can keep a watchful eye on my yard while I sleep at night.

• leila hamaya
    7 years ago

yep, the deer really suck!

my advice = a fence.

better yet a hedge, a living hedge or a dead hedge, or some kind of thorny barrier.

last year two raccoons found my stuff, and have seriously caused more damage than the many deer that eat my stuff. i've had to start all my seeds under windows or other things...so the raccoons dig up all the pots looking for my seeds to eat. especially the poor nut seeds. they figured out i was sprouting walnuts and pecans, and then came every night for a while, digging up any pot, even ones with established plants in them.

at least with the deer they tend to nibble, the roots and stalk of the perennials will come back after they get nibbled

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

Leila, I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that raccoons will just straight-up eat potting soil. Like there is some kind of nutrient they gain from it.

Lizzie

• Kaylee
    7 years ago

The thing to do around here for deer is install two cattle panel fences 5-6 feet apart. Deer need a running start, they can jump the first fence but not the second, leave the outer fence open at the end so they can get out. That or planting a hedge of Oregon grape, they like to eat the berries but don't walk through them because they're prickly. I had an aunt who used to spray a garlic/pepper/vinegar concoction they hated but not sure it's safe for all plants...plus you have to reapply, but they learned pretty quick.

That raccoon problem sounds like my squirrel problem, except the squirrels leave peanuts behind so I don't notice until a peanut comes up instead of the sunflower I planted :D

• Oladon
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My squirrels (in addition to digging stuff up and eating it) like to move everything around so I get totally confused. Last year I had lettuce growing in three (or possibly four) pots where I hadn't planted it.

• Adam Chester
    7 years ago

I ordered two packs of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deer-X-7-ft-x-100-ft-Black-Dalen-Products-Polypropylene-Protective-Fencing-DX-7/202871745

It comes in 7x100' rolls and costs less than $20. It's a mesh net that can easily be cut with scissors. I'll put that around my garden this year. I also cut pieces of it and fastened it around some tomato cages with twist ties and put those around a few of my plants. Seems like the easiest and cheapest solution.

• Kelli
    7 years ago

They seriously take your seeds and leave peanuts? That's so funny. This is my first year living somewhere deer and raccoons are highly likely, so I'm sure ill be joining in on this very shortly! I'm waiting for squirrels and rabbits to appear as well....

• Kaylee
    7 years ago

Here's one in action:

And here they've traded my nasturtium for a peanut AND some corn. So generous.

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

That is hilarious.

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's hysterical! I sometimes wish I had a yard and an actual garden plot, but these stories make container gardening on my deck not seem so bad. I only have 1 squirrel to worry about, and he's obsessed with the neighbor's bird feeders. The birds may be a problem when my strawberries start to ripen, but my neighbor has several feeders so maybe they'll stay on his side of the fence.

• Adam Chester
    7 years ago

Ha, who says there's no honor among thieves? At least they're fair.

• yeli0507
    7 years ago

I saw u guys like to share pics. I thought u guys might like this one. I have loufa the very big one there on the first cup white cucumber sunflower sour Gerkins rattle snake beans and edemames.

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow! That's an awesome start. Glad to see I'm not the only plastic cup seed starter. Where are you transplanting them to, ground or container?

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, a friend of a friend was dividing things in her garden/large acreage this past weekend and she asked if I want a container blueberry bush. I said absolutely, and somehow ended up with 2 blueberry bushes( which is okay) a raspberry bush AND an apple tree! Which, when she mentioned transplanting saplings, I thought she meant, like 2-3 feet tall. Oh NO, this thing is over 6 feet tall!! I am taking to my in laws next month, as they have a huge backyard. But for the next month I have NO room on my back deck between my plants and this fruit orchard I have adopted.

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

Those look really good, yeli!

Omg Christina, you really scored today, so awesome!

• Pat
    7 years ago

Hi Christina, I just noticed you live in Northern VA. Me too ... Tysons/McLean area. I have a big garden and love visitors. Get in touch if you're interested - daylilly99@cox.net. Pat

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A tree Lizzie! I'm thrilled with the blueberries, as is one of my boys, he's dreaming of smoothies with those and my strawberries(which I bought from Pat-see above) but the raspberries and a frickin tree are so far beyond my skills AND my space.

• yeli0507
    7 years ago

Wow Christina lucky girl. Thanks guys!! Yeah plastic cup are cheaper than containers lol. I'll be planting in the ground soon trying to create sort of like a living wall with all the vines I have started.

My yard long Asian red beans. They grow so well.

• Oladon
    7 years ago

First produce! Not very big, but very delicious!

I'm having to fight the urge to transplant everything this weekend... we're just past average last frost, but the forecast is showing lows in the lower 30s this coming week!

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ugh! We just went through a week of 40-50's and rain! Here in DC this week we're suppose to be sunny and hit 80 at least on Wednesday. It seems like all the rain slowed/stunted my veggies and none of my berries have any color. I'm hoping some sun will perk everything up!

• Kelli
    7 years ago

I'm having exactly the same Oladon. I ended up getting too excited and direct sowed a few things last week and frost got them the past few nights. Our squashes need room to run free!

• Oladon
    7 years ago

Um... so I just got around to taking a full inventory of my starts (our local swap is coming up, and I'm really excited!)... and I have 109 plants that need container or garden homes (not counting green onions and flowers).

Where in the world am I going to fit all of these?!?

I told my husband, and he said "I'm sure you know what you're doing"... I appreciate his confidence, but no, I really don't! I didn't think this many would make it!

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL. Isn't it funny how we can keep children, pets, spouses, etc alive but we're shocked when more than 50% of our plants make it? I had the same reaction when it was time to transplant my veggies. I over planted the number of seeds, assuming I'd over care for or neglect them to death. Nope! So now my neighbors all have veggies too. Oladon, I'm sure they'll find good homes at your swap. You'll be pretty popular.

• Adam Chester
    7 years ago

Lizzie, I found this guy a few years ago. He fell out of the nest before he could fly. I kept him in a cardboard box for a few days and fed him ground beef and water. His parents and siblings stayed in the trees nearby until he was able to fly away. He was surprisingly calm and didn't have a problem with being held. Named him Owliver.

In other news, I spent the past week preparing my garden plot. Finally got it planted on Saturday and put up the mesh fence on Sunday. A few of the tomato transplants looked pretty weak and I doubt they'll make it but I can afford to lose some and I expect everything else to do well. Glad to have everything in the ground.

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

Adam-

Such a cute fluffy owl! And your garden setup odd looking great! Looking forward to seeing you take on some sort of walkway project.

Oladon and Christina-

Right with you on all of that. If we were all neighbors, there'd be no square inch of yard left empty.

Lizzie

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

First tomatoes from seed are starting to ripen. Color is just as pretty as on the seed packet.

• Oladon
    7 years ago

Beautiful! What variety are those? They remind me of the Black Prince I grew last year.

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

Black Vernissage, they were a freebie from Baker Creek.

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Hi everybody I've been busy busy busy here...started digging the garden area fresh, had to remove tons of grass n weeds. And I had started some seeds in the garden and some in flats. I've got more to start in flats as I'm not trusting this weather AT ALL! We had an entire week of 40's and rain by the buckets daily. Now this week we started cool 40's-50's and then yesterday and today, 91 was the high. Cooling back off (I think) into 60's for the rest of the weekend. We're expecting some rain, which is good cuz it's difficult for me to water the garden. And I've got so much I still want to grow/plant that it means I've got LOTS more areas to dig...and weed. I've been away so long I wanted to thank everyone again for the seeds and show some pictures of some stuff... My stuff isn't as far along as most of y'all I started later, but it should catch up (hopefully). I also managed to pick up two small blueberry bushes, some berry briars, a few strawberry plants, some asparagus (different variety...jersey something) and I'm looking forward to starting them.

Garden area I started with:

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Progress

I'm still working on it! I'm a bit further than these photos, will share more as it progresses.

My pups playing! :)))
    Dill coming up!

I've got other flower n herb seeds and have a plan for this area

Tiny marigolds popping up, more are up today!

Two trays with tiny herb seeds just starting to come along.

Some of my squash, watermelons etc. today they are really showing their second leaves just popping thru. This pic is from yesterday.

I planted zinnia seeds in the concrete blocks that line the bottom of wrought iron fence with hens n chicks in them. Zinnia seeds are sprouted and sprouting. Anyway that's my story! Missed y'all! :)

• Lizzie
    6 years ago

Dang, Theresa, you're getting a lot done! Looks great and cute pups!

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Thank you! I'm exhausted all the time tho. I push myself to go dig a little each day, as my legs can't really handle doing too much. They shake and I have weakness in my legs and back so I use the pitchfork for most of my work and I stab it into the ground each time I need to get up to help support myself getting up. I'd fall over without it! Lol!

My pups are my babies and my loves. I don't know what I'd do without them. ❤️

Its been too hot the last 2 days to do any digging, besides I'm still sore from two days ago! Lol! Tomorrow I've got to force myself back out there. I'll have more pictures for y'all soon. What a difference a day makes! I see things growing fast now!

• Oladon
    6 years ago

Guess what, everyone! It's finally planting time in zone 5!

Planning the layout:

A few hours later...

It already looks better than it did at any point last summer. Now I just need to fill in the spaces with quick crops and flowers, and transplant the rest of the starts to pots!

Oh, and set up the soaker hose and possibly mulch the garden bed. But I'm well on my way to having a real garden!

• Oladon
    6 years ago

Where is everybody? Out in the garden and too busy to post, or did you all move over to a new thread and leave me behind? :)

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No! Just got busy, new job, kids got out if school for the summer, trying to keep plants alive. I keep meaning to take update pics and post but then the day flies by! I'll go take pics now and post tonight! How is everyone else doing?

• Christina Sanford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tomatoes, blueberries and the group! I'm so excited that everything has survived and flourished. My wife is even talking about putting in a raised garden box against my fence next year! Yay!

• Oladon
    6 years ago

Very nice, Christina!

I took a few pictures the other day...

Tomatoes and borage:

The garden:

Volunteer lettuce all over the place, overgrown radishes along the left... I've just learned about radish pods, and they're wonderful! Some squash, peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and okra dotted about as well.

I'll have to get some pictures of the containers on the deck...

• Adam Chester
    6 years ago

Here's an update from my garden. I think it's getting to the point where I'm about to lose control of it. It already looks like a jungle.

And (probably) one of the baby mantises I released near the garden earlier this year to hunt down other bugs. He's standing guard on a tomato plant and much bigger than when he was released so he must be doing his job.

• Kaylee
    6 years ago

Wow so much GREEN!

Nothing in my yard has really taken off yet unfortunately. The weather here has been so up and down (90 one day and 68 the next) that my poor plants have no idea what's going on. I have ONE tomato growing, all the others dropped their blossoms. Same with all my summer squash and peppers, even my lettuce and radishes and broccoli bolted...hopefully things start picking up but so far this summer's not looking too good for me.

Almost forgot I did have some good strawberries for a couple weeks! But that's about it so far. Oh well! :D

• Oladon
    6 years ago

Wow, Adam... what a garden! I'm longing for one that size...

Couldn't help but notice the mulch. Do you mulch the whole thing? If so, how do you handle fill crops like radishes? How much mulch do you use?

I bought mulch for mine this year, but haven't put it out because I can't figure out how to solve the "planting radishes all the time and need them to be able to find the sun" problem... so I'd love some input. (People other than Adam are welcome to answer, too.)

• leila hamaya
    6 years ago

one thought is to put down the mulch down after the sprouts have already shown up, carefully going around them with a THIN layer of mulch.

another thought is to rake the mulch off to one side, plant the seeds, then after a few weeks put the mulch back around the new sprouts.

a third thought is to plant right directly into the mulch, this works better with a thin layer of straw than wood chip mulch. only some things do ok being direct sown onto a mulched bed.

and a completely upside down thought is to put the mulch under your soil, helps with water retention in the soil and eventually breaks down into great soil. such as lasagna gardening and sheet mulching styles....

• Adam Chester
    6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. Oladon, I think I mentioned somewhere before that I managed to catch the Townsend guys while they were trimming trees along the power lines and asked them to dump the mulch by my garden. They were happy to do so. 3 years of mulch for free, if it doesn't all rot before then. I can't say what it will do to the pH of my soil, but I have more clay than I'd like so I'm willing to make some pH amendments if it will help it break up the clay once I till it in after the garden has run its course this year. And I suspect that my garden is quite high in nitrogen because while I do have tons of veggies coming, the tomatoes are a little leafier than expected. But I'd attribute that to the truckload of goat manure I shoveled onto the garden before I planted. This is my first year growing in that area so I'm trying to build up the soil with mulch and manure, even if it means that soil conditions aren't yet ideal. I'll have it where I want it in another year or so.

Also, the main idea was to not have to till the garden for the whole summer, as I don't own a tiller and have to borrow one. The mulch has been doing a great job of keeping most of the weeds down. I adopted an 'as much as I can' approach for application, meaning there are spots around certain plants where I do have to pull weeds, but at least they aren't out of control and hey, no tilling.

As for the fill crops, I didn't do radishes but I do have basil, carrots and onions. I ended up planting them in short, compact rows near the center of the garden and mulched around the rows. weeds have overtaken my onions but I'm to blame for that, as I should have been more proactive in pulling them. I would highly recommend mulching the garden if you can manage it. It's kept things neater and more manageable so far. Just do some research beforehand to find out if it will throw you pH out of whack later on.

And this is off-topic, but Leila, one of the figs you sent me is currently planted on the South side of my house and is doing great. A few weeks ago it started to put more branches off of the main stem so I will be taking cuttings from it later this year. If you remember, you also sent me a half dozen wild strawberries. I currently have them in a corner of my herb bed and they're putting out runners and spreading exponentially. They have produced quite a few tiny berries. Not enough to be considered a crop but wow are they ever delicious.

• Lynda (OH z5)
    6 years ago

Sorry it has been so long since I have commented on this discussion. Our school garden is expanding and growing well thanks to the generous seed traders on this site. We have already been able to donate about five pounds of lettuce, spinach, strawberries, radishes and onions from our garden to two of our local food pantries. We have added two more small raised beds, a trellis for vertical growing space, some small planter boxes by our entry way, a flower/garden bed with garden pole,

and a bench for relaxing in our garden area. Our Garden of Hope has been such a blessing to our students, staff, and community and we have you all to thank for it. :).

• Oladon
    6 years ago

Really nice, Lynda -- love the pictures and update! :)

Alright, Adam, you've convinced me... I've got a bunch of wood chip mulch that I bought to use on the garden, so maybe I'll put it out this week or the coming weekend. I'm probably going to have to keep amending the soil for acidity anyway, so what's a bit more alkalinity among friends, eh?

Btw, I found this helpful guide to mulch in my search... leaving it here in case anyone else wants the information contained therein!

• aliciacammel
    6 years ago

Christina Sanford,

I have giant Zinnia mix to trade for your giant dahlia mix zinnias.

My email is aliciacammel@gmail.Com

Thank you.

Sponsored