SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benita_carvalho

What size range hood for a 30" range?

Jade BR
7 years ago

I have never had a range hood before but will buy one for my new kitchen. I read in another website when people were discussing range hoods that ideally, we should go with a hood a little bigger than the range. The reasoning was something along the lines that with a bigger hood, you can install it a little taller (looks better) than the recommended distance between stove top and base of hood. And it would work best, covering all the working surface of the stove top.

I filled that info in the back of my mind since I read it when I was still discussing with my husband if we should do a kitchen renovation or not.

Now, a few months later, the time has come to buy the hood and I still remember that info. However, my contractor and my architect say it is not done or needed and I am just going to spend more money (bigger hood is more expensive of course) without cause.

Who is right in this discussion (if even there is one about this subject)?

The wall where the hood will be will not have any wall cabinets, so that is not a consideration. Should I go with a 30" hood like my range or a 36" one?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!