SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee37

Bluebirds nesting earlier than usual - seem to have abandoned eggs

ellessebee37
6 years ago

We have a pair of bluebirds in one of our nest boxes. They had to fight it out with a flock of tree swallows, but after a few weeks managed to claim one of the boxes. They built a nest and laid 5 eggs. The eggs were in place a week ago, during a relatively warm spell. I saw the male adult tending to the female (who I assumed was inside) only one day, about 5 days ago. I have not seen any adult activity at the box since then. The weather is colder now than it was when they build the nest and laid the eggs. I am wondering if they decided it's too cold and have abandoned the eggs. They are about a month ahead of last year's breeding schedule. I am not sure if I should leave it alone or clean it out hoping they will try again. Are these eggs still viable? While we have other nest boxes, competition with the swallows is fierce and I'm afraid this is the only one the swallows will allow the bluebirds to use and if it has their old eggs they won't move back in. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional