SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_gooding

What to plant when struggling to keep up

Katie Gooding
7 years ago

I've been sfg for a number of years in different homes, third year on my current sfg. The thing is...last year I had baby #3, so last year didn't happen and everything but the strawberry box has been over run with weeds. This spring I pulled them all out, composted and planted sugar snaps and lettuce at the appropriate time and the birds picked the seeds and bunnies/deer ate everything that came up. So I tried again, still having not much luck and at this point my sfg just looks like a mess.

I'm looking for plant/groundcover suggestions to just make it look neater for my neighbors that overlook it.

I'd hate to rip it out, since I do want to teach my kids gardening eventually, but in the mean time I need something that will grow and look decent in there. I really don't care what. I have a set up for automatic drop irrigation, so watering isn't the problem, it's the remembering to get out there and weed (and chase rabbits/deer/birds away)

I did throw in some tomatoes, watermelon, and cantaloupe that where already started at the nursery to try running up the trellises (if I can get vegetation on the trellis at least my neighbors will get a more pleasant view) and I tossed some pole beans in to try a sort of modified three sister approach (but no corn, the deer would take that for sure, lol). And a few marigolds. It's not a huge area, just 2 4x4 boxes. Thankfully I didn't follow through with my expansion plans three years ago!

I also have one 4x4 box of strawberries, but I'm quite pleased that they look okay, despite getting eaten before they ripen. It's a mess out there...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm