SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boris_zakharin

Growing tomatoes in containers on a deck - what am I doing wrong

Boris Zakharin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I've been trying this off and on without much luck, but last year I decided to read up on best practices and figured i'd follow what I thought were the best instructions I could find. Sadly I planted four plants and got two fruit for my trouble. Total.

I should say that I live in southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia. My deck is made of painted wooden boards with small gaps between them. It gets 8 hours of full direct sunlight plus 4 hours of partial sun. I used Rutgers tomatoes which seem to be a good variety for this area. Here's what I did:

I placed 5-gallon soft pots directly on the deck. I filled them with plain potting soil (not potting mix) to about 2 inches or so from the top and soaked with water. Then I planted the tomato seedlings and covered with a bit more soil so 2/3 of the stem was covered. I inserted two Jobe's tomato fertilizer sticks (not organic), each halfway between the seedling and the edge of the pot in opposite directions, added some more water and tomato cages. I also added Tomato Screens to protect from squirrels.

I planted on May 8 and watered when soil became dry pouring in a lot of water. This usually came out to every other day when it wasn't raining. I got flowers on all plants by May 30, when they also all reached the bottom rung of the tomato cages. On June 13 I noticed the growth of my first fruit. The number of flowers peaked around June 30 with approximately 10 on each plant. At this point, all the plants reached the second rung of their cage. Most flowers did not develop into fruit and eventually dropped, some quickly, but most after a long time. The second fruit (on a different plant) finally started growing around July 4. By this point all the plants reached the third rung of their cage.

On July 21 I harvested my first fruit. It was a lot smaller than normal for Rutgers tomatoes. By this point the number of flowers per plant was about half of what it was at its peak. By August the plants were growing sickly with yellowing of some leaves, but continued to produce flowers, peaking again on August 10, exceeding even the first peak, when I harvested the second tomato, only slightly larger than the first. There was no further fruit growth, and the health of the plants deteriorated slowly at first and then more rapidly, being all but dead by September.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? I was planning to repeat my experiment this year, obviously correcting anything I did wrong.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Comments (60)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville