Floppy Prairie Blazing Star

bmj202

My blazing stars always seem to get so tall they flop over when they flower. I don't feed them or give them water. I just let them get what they need naturally. I prefer not to stake them. I was thinking about maybe pruning them back a bit half way through the growing season. Does anyone know if cutting them back a bit would prevent them from flowering?

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

In some species, I believe it would. Others may branch, like L. aspera.

Save     Thanked by bmj202
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Worth a try.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

How much sunlight do they get? There's some discussion about Liatris and floppiness in the first half of this thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2028606/liatris-yes-or-no?n=94

L, pycnostachya wants as much sun as possible. The more shade it gets, the faster (and thinner) it grows, and it bends around trying to reach sunlight. There's a big difference among the ones I have in my backyard (which came from the same nursery source). Some that are just a few feet from the others, but out of the midday shade of a big oak next door, are shorter and don't flop (though they lean a little).

I agree with Tom about giving it a try -- maybe prune one or two and leave the others as a control group. If there's much shade, though, I think a better solution would be to move (or propagate) them to a full sun location.

Save    
bmj202

They receive full sun. Maybe leaning would be a better description than flopping. Last year I had some about 5 feet tall, and they were the ones having a problem staying upright. I think I'll give your advice a try, WoodsTea. I'll prune a few and leave a few alone to see which perform to my liking.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

The other thing besides sunlight when it comes to floppiness is competition. In a native prairie you have a much higher density of plants, perhaps a couple of hundred in a square meter. An individual Liatris plant is more limited in that situation and can't grow as fast.

http://www.prairiemoon.com/images/D/Liatris-pycnostachya-Prairie-Blazing-Star-field.jpg

In a garden each plant might have a square foot or more all to itself, and often in amended soil.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Blazing Star
Attract birds, bees and butterflies to your garden with the unique flower spikes of Liatris from July to September
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Meadow Blazing Star (Liatris Ligulistylis)
Make fast friends with the monarch butterflies and get a color show too with this adaptable U.S. Midwest native
Full Story
Flowers and Plants Plant Rubber Rabbitbrush for Its Brilliant Blaze of Gold in Fall
The western North American shrub ‘Ericameria nauseosa’ has masses of tiny flowers that attract pollinators
Full Story
Fisher’s offers a variety of beautiful gazebos and pergolas in wood or vinyl, with many options and additions... Read More
Founders Eric Smith and Dan Swain, find joy in creating functional and unique spaces filled with well-crafted... Read More