SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

ID for very old rhododendron?

jacqueline9CA
7 years ago

This rhododendron is in our garden, which was started in 1905 by my DH's great grandparents, and has been in the family ever since. From where it is planted (an overgrown part of what used to be a formal garden), I am guessing it was planted in the 1930s or earlier. It blooms every year, and I love its dainty, lacy blooms. Any ideas about who it might be? They tended to plant "popular" plants they bought at the West End Nursery in San Rafael, CA. (Aside - that was just their local nursery, but it also has turned out to be, to my astonishment, the oldest continuing operating nursery in CA. It is still going, and is still owned by the same family who founded it in the late 19th century). Anyway, most of the old surviving plants and roses we have been able identify have turned out to be whatever was "in" and "new" and popular when they planted them. Some of the roses planted very early have turned out to be rare and/or endangered, but they were the latest thing when acquired.

So, I was wondering about this surviving rhododendron - here are several pictures of it I took two days ago - just starting to bloom:

Thanks for your help -

Jackie

Comments (6)

Sponsored