SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powen19

Financial advice?

Iloveto Cook
7 years ago

Hi! My husband and I are in our 40s and have just recently started saving for our retirement. (I know, we're late, and believe me, I am feeling the crunch!)
Neither of us has ever had much. We both grew up very poor, and we have struggled to bring ourselves to middle class status. We are very proud that the bills no longer have late notices and we are able to change our vehicles' oil when we are supposed to..(LOL!)
I'm giving you this background so that you can get the idea that we have no idea what to do when it comes to actual money. I know how to budget, and I clip coupons and shop sales, that I know. But when it comes to investing, I'm clueless. And if anyone ever asked me how to handle an inheritance, I would be clueless. Nobody in my family has ever had anything to leave, so I have never had to deal with that!
But we have recently been told that my husband is in his (long-estranged) father's will. This is completely unexpected, but he is the beneficiary of an annuity and an ira. I have no idea how much money there will be, as this is what the couple have been living off of in their retirement, and his father is still alive.
My questions are:
Can my husband take this money and just roll it into his own retirement fund?
Will my husband have to give the government 60% of this money? Is there a way to avoid this?
I thank all of you people for your time and consideration, and I apologize if this is the wrong board for these questions. I know there are a lot of financially savvy people here and I was really hoping someone can help me.

Comments (23)