SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmahone8

Grapefruit tree dying from the inside

Megan M
7 years ago

I acquired my grapefruit tree early fall 2016. I don't know how old it is but it's about 5-6ft tall (potted) and seemed to be in fairly good condition when I got it. Until I noticed the spider mites.... *shudder*

Long story short, I scrubbed my grapefruit tree baby and applied coatings of neem oil over the course of the last 6 months, and from what I can see all of the webs are gone. But there is a new problem...

First I noticed that a lot of leaves were falling off the tree, specifically the leaves at the top. Sometimes these leaves were brown and curled up, but usually they were green and alive. Around the same time the tree started growing a lot of water sprouts, similar to the picture below. They grew fast and with huge leaves. My limited research on these told me that I could leave them as my tree is not grafted.

Recently there have been a lot of leaves falling off, as well as some of the branches at the top and in the center (closest to trunk) turning brown and dying. A slight bump to the tree's pot causes close to a dozen healthy looking leaves to drop. I'm afraid my tree is dying from the inside out.

Are these fast growing water sprouts sucking the life from my tree? Or did my use of neem oil change the pH or micronutrients of the soil? Do I need to use different water (currently using tap water), or fertilizer, or new soil?

Help please!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES