SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz

Want to build a very easily expandable home

swampwiz
7 years ago

Here is my situation. I want NOW to build a home as per my floorplan specification that has all the standard functional stuff, in addition to a single BR & BA and a big gameroom (that could easily be converted into a garage, and technically would be the 2nd BR, LOL), for a net of about 1500 ft^2. However, I fully expect at some point to add on a den, master BR suite with a pair of BR & BA above the master BR suite (although those BR may only be roughed in). -----------------------

While a lot of folks always talk about simply building a new home to get a bigger one, the turn-around costs are high, and as well it's a big pain to move, and it just seems to me that if properly designed, building half a home that is functional and then building the rest of it later should not entail very much in additional costs than if the entire home were done at the same time. And yes, financially speaking, there would be a lot of savings by not having to pay more interest, property tax, insurance, etc., to say nothing of the fact that building the entire home would be impossible from a bank approval POV (it is expected that in the future, this would not be a problem). -----------------

The main floor plan idea I have is to have the foyer area on one side with the roof being a simple gable module there, and have the wall be framed as it if it had a wide threshold, and simply have this threshold filled in for the original construction. Then, that other part would simply be built to interface with the gabled module, which for the add-on would simply be a continuation of the gable geometry, at least for a little bit. I forsee having a completely separate HVAC system, and it would seem the electrical hookup would not be too difficult by simply having a new junction box for the add-on (I would presume that the existing tap could be retapped); however, I could see that some planning should be made to make the water line & sewerage sump line be easily extended, which I would think would not be too difficult (and possibly as well for the hot water line, although that could be worked by having another water heater). Everything will be all electric, so there is no concern about the gas line.
I've looked around the 'net for articles about my idea, but I can't seem to drill down to this idea with the search engines, and only get articles about add-ons in general. I probably should draw a little figure, and I suppose that if I get time I will do so. Thanks

Comments (33)