SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Backyard terribleness soon to be transformed--need inspiration/advice

purrus
7 years ago

So, we've lived in our house for eight years and the outside has not been a priority at all... obviously. We bought the place from the original owners and in that time we've gutted and renovated the kitchen (including removing walls and enlarging doorways), renovated two bathrooms, refinished or installed hardwood floors throughout, replaced windows, replaced HVAC, replaced the roof---I could go on. We have finally come to terms with the reality that all of the wooden landscaping is rotting, and with a young child, it seems like a real safety hazard at this point. So we've decided this has to be the year.

What I'm looking for: budget-savvy advice, and design/redesign ideas. This is our backyard. We spend a ton of time out here, but can't spend thousands of dollars. At the same time, I have little time to DIY and my spouse does not do DIY. So we're going to have to hire most of this out.

We would prefer one stairway down the hill instead of two. We also (separately) need to hire someone to enclose the underneath part of our deck with lattice, or to DIY that. We need new pavers with new underlayment to avoid getting weeds (and to update the look).

Additionally, our driveway has a weird wall around it (shown in the third picture---I'm standing in the yard, taking a picture of the patio and the wall that surrounds the driveway). Is there any other solution to keeping people from driving off the edge of the driveway? The driveway is about a foot above the patio area and the wall is only a little shorter than me as I stand on the patio. It's quite bizarre. I guess I'm not going to be that upset if it stays, but I'm just not a big fan of it. Also, if we paint the brick on our house (which we're considering since the brick looks like concrete...), we'd also have to paint that wall, and I just have a hard time picturing that looking OK. I suppose I do like the privacy afforded by the wall from the street.

The thing in the yard is a fire pit, covered with a tarp. We'd like to incorporate that into our design somehow. (Building a fire pit in the ground requires a permit, apparently.) So we're thinking of designing another little patio area down there, with steps to it, maybe. Would love any ideas about that.

Help???

Comment (1)