SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lh69017

Tomato seedlings curling under and wilting... Need help!

Logan
7 years ago

I have 4 tomato varieties (Vinson Watts, Black Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes) and 2 pepper varieties growing in my kitchen, waiting to be transplanted in roughly 4 weeks.

The peppers are looking fantastic, but 3 of the 4 tomato varieties are showing strange symptoms that are worrying me (Black Brandywine looks okay) :

- Leaves and stems are curling under like pigs tails.

- Bottom branch leaves are starting to wilt.

- Two of the plants have a strange white "foam"-like bark appearance on the main stem.

They were started 4 weeks ago, half in a mix of vermiculite and peat moss, half in a Miracle Grow seed starter mix. Both mediums are showing similar symptoms across my plants. I added 1/2 strength fertilizer tea last week (at 2 sets of true leaves). This tea is made from Dr. Earth Homegrown Organic Tomato and Herb Fertilizer (5-7-3); 1/2 cup diluted in a gallon of water and sprayed on foliage and into soil with a mister.

The plants are on a light schedule of 16-8, using a full spectrum LED light strip designed for seedlings. A small computer fan is setup to get air flow to the seedlings.

Average temperature in the growing area is 68F with average 40% relative humidity.

I have no idea what to do, every day the plants look worse.

I popped one out to see if the roots were binding and they are not - pots are 2.5" wide but 4" deep.

What should I do?!

Flush the plants with water and transplant to larger pots? Add fresh potting mix?

Add Diatomaceous Earth to kill potential pests in the soil?

Cut off the wilted leaves?

I need serious help here.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert