SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

"reimagined" Eicheler in Palo Alto

sushipup1
7 years ago

Very nicely done, in my opinion. Imagine what the FLW house would sell for in the SF Bay Area?

Remodeled Eichler

Comments (15)

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Eichler is not my style of choice but it does have features I like. This one is really nice.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I like it but for some reason everything seems so "safe", like nobody wanted to take a chance; like they would never in a million years consider mixing magenta and chartreuse green. (Not my first choice but I would consider it, on a dare).

• mabeldingeldine
    7 years ago

I'm surprised that for $2.5 million the appliances are kind of mid-range. After all, I have a Bosch dishwasher!

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I wish I liked it. I agree with bossyvossy, although I probably would have said "bland" or "generic" rather than "safe." I don't think they would mix blue and beige, much less magenta and chartreuse.

BTW, Bossy, my kitchen is chartreuse and the pantry is a grape purple (not quite magenta).

• sas95
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I generally love that type of house, but I don't love this one. It looks so generic to me as well.

• rockybird
    7 years ago

I love Eichlers, but I do not like how they did this one. The floors dont seem to fit the home and the rest looks very bland.

• User
    7 years ago

Yes, I was disappointed and I'm a real Eichler fan. My friend grew up in one with fond memories. I just have dashed hopes....

• Gooster
    7 years ago

I cringed when I first saw the headline "reimagined Eichler" on SFGate.com. This usually means a Bay Area flipper has gone into a historic home, painted all the woodwork white, painted walls grey and stripped out most of the original detail. In this case, it appears they also expanded. The irony of the situation is that a more faithful renovation might have earned an even higher purchase price from the Eichler-obsessed.

And yes, $2M is mid-range in Palo Alto. It does appear that this home had been previously remodeled as well.

Listing Prior to the Flip, Per the Comments

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

Played it safe with the greige paint and uninspiring choices. Looks like a Christina and Tarek flip from that horrid show, Flip or Flop.

• withoutanh
    7 years ago

I lived one block from this house from ages 5-9; I may have played with other children in it. We lived in a ranch house because my father, an industrial arts teacher, did not feel that Eichlers were constructed safely.. But oh.....I pined for an Eichler and developed an early interest in house design. I would still love to buy an Eichler, but I would restore it (or at least in the spirit of the original). This house, to me, looks like someone was trying to make it look transitional and generic, and they succeeded! The original house would have had mahogany paneling, for instance, and the ceilings natural wood.

As for price, 2.5 million is middle of the road for Palo Alto. I live in Mountain View, which is cheaper, and my 2BR 1.5BA ranch would go for not a huge amount less.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

People have really turned their back on dark natural wood tones and mixed wood tones juxtaposed together and I think that is one reason all of this is disappearing. People are willing to paint drywall a dark moody color because it's latex paint and it doesn't seem like much of a commitment.

I think if Frank Lloyd Wright houses were easier to live in and maintain, they would be bought by more typical buyers and all the wood in some of them would be painted out, too. As it is, they attract a very specific sort of buyer, someone much less likely to alter.

Photography is misleading, because a lot of time rooms that get a fair amount of light seem to photograph "dark". The reality is that so many modernist houses have so many windows, and windows in unusual positions that they actually get more light inside despite being covered with dark wood, than a conventional too fat house with middles of open concept rooms far from windows--light colored drywall not withstanding. My third floor has an exposed sheathing-raftered ceiling with a flat Jacobean stain on it (fumed oak color almost, and completely non reflective) but sometimes the room is still actually bright.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

I think the context of the modern home has to be considered when it comes to dark natural wood tones. In Palm Springs, which is full of glass paneled MCM homes, you don't see many homes with dark wood paneling/ceilings. Dark wood tones juxtaposed with the bright desert sun would seem oppressive when you walk inside and it would take your eyes minutes to adjust, and there's the issue of fading. Lighter tones in these homes also sets a blank canvas for the stunning views of the mountains or the bright blue swimming pools out the large expanses of glass. But a woodsy MCM in the Pacific Northwest or in a foggy enclave of the Bay Area or Big Sur calls for darker paneling, creating a cozier feel which connects with the more moody, darker climate.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

I like the light wood (I prefer it to dark), but I do find the color choices to be rather bland, but easy to work with. I do not like the chartreuse color of the door - I considered the same door (in wood) for my entrance but ended up with one with three squares instead of the rectangles. At least the door is the same color inside and out, which I think is important. I hate the bathroom sinks, however, but everything else is acceptable to me. It does very much look like a flip. I'm unable to identify the appliances, but in Venice they would be high end.

I considered moving to Palo Alto in 1974 (when I was also considering Santa Cruz) but decided that it was too conservative. I found anti-Semitic graffiti in the men's bathroom in the library at Stanford, and this put me off. Redwood City was even worse, but I really liked Santa Cruz and would have moved there if I had gotten the job I applied for.

• withoutanh
    7 years ago

Lars, I went to UC Santa Cruz from 1969-1973, then transferred to UCLA for my major (whew, talk about culture shock). I grew up in a very progressive environment, but left before you were looking. I had close relatives in SC and still have very close friends there, and I still love the city.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH