SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vibi

Are Pinky Winkies in pots even possible ?

vibi
7 years ago

Story line : I'm in a cold climate (3b-4a) and backdrop to my yard is a small but tall woodland, mossy, old pine tree area. Two years ago, I wanted to cheer up that somber horizon by planting a few Pinky Winkies and Firedudes?... which I thought could stand my cold climate's partial shade.

Duh...

I've seen mini white blooms on the Pinky Winkies, no more. No pink. Not a cone in sight. Nothing. It doubled in size and foliage was super healthy, a bit sparse... but I have 3 layered babies on the way this Spring from one of them alone. The Firedudes didn't even bloom, without layering. Hence, I can't even remember if it's Firelight or Quick Fire!

Were they drained from layering - just grew but didn't bloom ?

Clearly, my thoughts go to light. They probably got at most 3, 4 hours of. So I'm thinking Pinky in my area is a full sun hydrangea - some of my neighbors have the most wonderful 5ft hedges of them... though. smack right in full hot sun.

Which makes me think, ding, ding ! ... I have to move mine !!

Problem : I don't have full sun space to spare for them (at least for now), unless in pots, on or around my patio. I'd hate to part with them...

So my idea is to move them all to large pots (what size pot is enough ?) set in full sun (or at least a lot more than before - the pots could also go on the lawn's sunny skirt) for the summer. Winter come, I would dig holes in the backyard's woods to bury the pots until next Spring.

Is that a viable idea ? Could Pinky Winky thrive in pots ?

If so, I need advice please... when to do this (cut the babies off, transplant the gang to pots, how to dress the pots, etc.), how to care for hydrangeas in pots this summer, or anything else you can think of :)

Thank you so much... I'm grateful even for you to have read this far :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH