SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genevragarrett

Most Expensive Gritty Mix On Earth

Melochia Tomentosa
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all!

I'm trying to build my first ever batch of Al's gritty mix, and at the rate I'm gong this stuff is going to be right up there with printer ink and saffron in terms of price!

After struggling with Home Depot orchid bark (too large, blender didn't do a great job on it), I just paid $25 for a 24 QT bag of Repti-Bark at Petco in the hopes that it would be correctly pre-sized. After screening it through 1/4" hardware cloth and 1/8 insect screen, I have less than a gallon ziplock bag full of ideal "pine bark fines". At least twice as expensive as buying straight from a fancypants bonsai supply store.

Considering that pine bark is supposed to function in Al's gritty mix as a "cheap filler" (having the average water retention of Turface and granite), I'm feeling pretty ridiculous.

I also just saw that Repti-Bark is 30% off online, ($17) which brings the nonsense level of this undertaking up an additional notch.

I at least want to try to process the remaining material so it can be used. I'm planning to try running over with my car to crush it down...should this be effective? I don't own any kind of chipper.

Can anyone help me steer my way out of this absurdity tunnel? I'm thinking of abandoning the pine bark all together since it's absurdly expensive/labor intensive, and I can probably do without the slight acidification that Al cites as the other reason to include it.

P.S. I'm based in South Florida (Broward County - Oakland Park area) ...I don't know how to update this info in my profile.

Comments (47)