SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kazmom1

Which would look better, counter or tall pantry?

kazmom
7 years ago

I am trying to decide what would look better in the space behind the kitchen door. At MamaGoose's suggestion I was going to put a narrow broom closet there but the GC said that the framing and doors from a built in closet will take a lot of my space in a narrow area and suggested cabinets. To save cost he suggested getting a 36" wide, 30" tall wall cabinet and he would add risers and the toe kick and use it as a narrow base cabinet there. It will be used to store cleaning supplies primarily so a wall cabinet would work fine. Brooms and such would then go behind the door in the corner pantry

If we use the GC's idea that wall will have a corner pantry, then two base cabinets with ~26" counter (with overhang) then go down to 14" counter (with overhang). This would keep the back door from opening a full 90 degrees but it isn't the only back door in the house.

Alternatively, for not a lot more $ (once countertop is factored in), I could just buy a 12" deep tall pantry cabinet to go behind the door. This would allow a little more door clearance and more storage room but I am not sure which would look better. If we do the pantry would it look weird to have the 4' of counter between the corner pantry wall and the tall pantry cabinet?

A third option would be to use the wall cabinet as the GC suggested and stack another 36" wide, 12" high wall cabinet that we currently have and are planning to move to the laundry room (because of lack of area to use, it is above the peninsula that is coming out). That would give me a 48" cabinet there, not quite as looming as a tall pantry but then I am not sure what you put on top so you aren't looking down at the cabinet top. Counter only to the edge (no overhang?). And would that even look right? Mama Goose had posted a picture of a similar set up but it was going into a hallway, not in a main part of the kitchen.

Across the kitchen facing this wall is the dining room, which will be open to the kitchen as we are taking down the dividing wall.

You can see the space I am talking about marked with ??? at the top right of the picture.

Note - I intentionally added the base fillers on either side of the 21" base cabinets trying to extend the countertop as much as possible. I already own one 21" base with pull out shelves and felt aesthetically if I was only having two base cabinets there they should be the same size, but wanted a little more counter.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)