SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ycloh1

Fat plants, Caudiciform or Caudex Collectors

Hi All,

Sharing my Euphorbia Francoisii

This is 13cm tall from soil to top.

E. Cylindrifolia ssp Tubifera. Caudex about 3cm.

E. Tulearensis x Francoisii

E. Francoisii

Some of my fat plantscollection

Comments (146)

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sharing Dorstenia flowers

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Ycloh; That farm is amazing. So many nice specimens! I believe #10 is Ammocharis coranica a bulb.

Dog; I think I have learned to withhold water until you can see the plant really needs it. No set watering schedule. I also think you have a better chance succeeding starting with plants at least as large as you got. Seedlings are just so hard to give the right conditions. They can't be left dry as long because they don't have enough reserves. This leads to me over watering and rotting. Yours looks big enough to survive some benign neglect until you see what it needs in your conditions.

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked aloebot
  • Related Discussions

Fat plant flowers

Q

Comments (28)
    Did not make the container the holubii is in. The pots are made using earthenware clay, and tend to use the darker colors more often. Have tried some glazing but haven't been happy with them. I like the course texture as most of my pots are made that way. Usually I make the pot with the plant intended to go in it. The container I just finished was made with my large Cyphostemma juttae in mind. The pot measures 19in wide x 14in deep x 9in tall and the juttae is 21in tall x 25in spread x 14in diameter at soil level. I've made a couple of small hypertufa years ago but nothing lately. See link for more photos. Here is a link that might be useful: more pots
    ...See More

Two new fat plants

Q

Comments (8)
    Hey Passion, The Dioscorea is medium fast grower under perfect conditions. I would bury the caudex and leave the growing center exposed, it will get fatter that way. The cracks are normal. I've seen a friend's plant that he raised from seed and is 20yrs old. It's about 7in wide, again that was under ideal growing temperatures with regular watering and minimal feeding. Nice ponytail ;0)
    ...See More

Help with caudiciform???

Q

Comments (9)
    The arms can be removed as close to the caudex as possible, calloused for 10 days or so and replanted to grow new plants. With time, they will develop a new caudex but you have to allow it to grow for a couple of years before raising it or the roots won't get FAT! New arms will grow from the base of the caudex. Seed grown plants develop a nicer caudex but take much longer. I do it both ways. While the picture on the left is an arm division of Euphorbia squarrosa, the principle is the same; the new arms have grown from the base. You can just see the fat root developing into a pseudo caudex. The E. knuthii grown from my seed has developed a true caudex and if unearthed, would be much larger. This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 10:23
    ...See More

Fat plants 2 calling all collectors

Q

Comments (151)
    I second a Fat Plants 3:)! Isde02, nice new Jathropha. It's a perfect boob;). I love how perfectly round they get, and yours is definitely perfectly round. Lovely new Pachypodiums too. Pachypodiums are so beautiful, they have that pretty metallic "skin";). SLD, I really like that Pachypodium baronii. Bay Area's succulent/cactus shows start next wknd, and that one I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for;). Thanks another fatty on the list!
    ...See More
  • halocline
    7 years ago

sld - I've only had my jutiae for a few months. It was dormant when I got it; but woke up shortly after coming home. I'm assuming it's needs are similar to Adeniums.

Rob

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aloebot, its actually a small area compare to those large companies farm. He have lots of unique plants. Which he hand pick. No mass production.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some wide angles view.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    7 years ago

Rob, so I guess that means Juttiae couldn't go in my cool greenhouse in the winter. Oh well. I'm pretty maxed out in the house for the warmth loving plants. I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to add on to the small plant area at the end of our living room :)

I also have a bunch of Adenium seedlings under lights that I'll eventually have to find room for.

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow it look great ...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Dog, nice plants from Aridlands. Would you write me at LASSERH@HOTMAIL.COM. THX

• Pagan
    7 years ago

sld, that is not what "maxed out" looks like lol Plenty of room there still!

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Dog; love that sun-room, and agree with Pagan. Almost would be a shame to cover those beautiful tiles though.

Ycloh; looks like they have some Fouquierias and Kedrostis there too

7 years ago

bikerdoc, will do.

Pagan and aloebot, most of the full sun spots there are taken and hopefully the plants will get bigger and take up more room :-) That space looks bigger in the photo than it is. It's about 5 feet between the plants stands along the sides. I may be able to put a narrow bench down the middle, but it wouldn't be full sun. Hmmmm... maybe more Haworthias... It might make getting in there to water awkward, and, if I could add on to the space, I'd have room for a potting bench :-)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pseudobombax ellipticum.

Uncarina grandidieri

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • Paul MI
    7 years ago

Ycloh, the plant you did not know (" #10 ?? "), I do not believe to be a caudex forming plant. Looks like the bulb of a Hippeastrum breaking dormancy.

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked Paul MI
  • Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Paul, thanks for the info. It caudex is a size of a big base ball.

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Pagan; did you try to root the main stem of your P. bispinosum after you severed it? How much die back did the base of the plant experience? I thought about what you said re: the P. succulentum and have re-potted it into a tall 1 gal. pot to the branch. I also untangled the two main roots which were trying to make a knot. It might be too little too late, but experimentation adds to the enjoyment.

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Stan; how long have you been able to keep the A. polyphylla alive? Has your P. ellipticum flowered for you yet? If so, which color?

• halocline
    7 years ago

sld - Here's a link w/ more info about "Cyphostemma juttae". They're slow growers, but they can get quite large, and withstand some cooler temps.

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/225.htm

Rob

7 years ago

Thanks, Rob. That link has some great photos (as well as good info)! It sounds like it would do fine in my greenhouse :-)

• Pagan
    7 years ago

aloebot: I got my P. bispinosum from another grower and he had already been keeping it as long-stemmed plant. When I got it, it was branching from about six inches from the caudex with branch nodes along it that I would cut down if they tried to grow. Eventually, I just cut down the main stem to about an inch from the caudex and it grew new branches around the base instead. I did not root the cutting. The side-effect of all this pruning is that I've only ever seen it bloom once.

I'm a little nervous about re-burying an exposed caudex but I don't really know how pachypodiums react once its caudex has become weathered and hardened from exposure. I know that most species of adeniums will develop some kind of cork-ey bark when re-buried and the way adeniums do it is a bit unsightly. Some actually rot unless planted in soil-free gritty mix (which would then have to be watered daily in summer to keep up with the demands of active growth). I wonder how yours will turn out, I'm very curious.

This is why most of my caudiciforms are still unexposed for the most part. Every year I think this is the year I will raise then but every year I get greedy and leave them be.

7 years ago

Aloe that's about 4 years going on 5 now. It came close to death planted in ground. It hates heavy clay. In a pot it recovered very fast. Its ready now for a good 16" or so pot. The 'bombax has never bloomed. We had three great winters in a rowbefore this year's- and it grew great in summer..just never bloomed. I wont get one this cold wet winter. All three large branches nipped by a late December freeze. Of course they could surprise me..

• halocline
    7 years ago

I just raised this Adenium about 3 months ago after it spent 2 years in the pot I first transplanted it into after bringing it home from the nursery.

(First pot)

This is somewhat of an experiment; transplanting this into such a deep pot, but I thought it through, and it's doing very well.

Rob

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Pagan; I just figured what the heck. It isn't growing into anything as it is now. I might as well try and see what happens. I keep all (most) of my Calibanus submerged. I have 4 that are raised and the rest are just grass coming out of the dirt. I'm tempted to check out a few of my 3 gallon plants to see what I have. I need more time off from work! I also keep my Fockea submerged. I replanted last year and they had put on a lot of girth. I want a round blob. Unfortunately most of them have put put most of their energy into the roots.

• halocline
    7 years ago

Pachypodium L.

(Photo shoot supervisor)

Rob

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Got this small guy Euphorbia tureansis.

top view

Front view

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Ycloh; I think that is E. tulearensis. This one is bigger than any I have seen for sale. That is a nice looking plant!

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, my typo error.

Super slow growing. Small leaves type. Very compact. This huy is about 2 inches in height. There are bigger one too x.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

I belong to the what-the-Hades school of thought, too, aloebot. After much hemming and hawing, I'd have done the same to that particular sapling.

Nice find, ycloh. The flowers have any odor at all?

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pagan, flower no scent .

But the other side a small flower buds emerge.

• aloebot
    7 years ago

ycloh; thanks for starting this thread. My favorite kinds of succulents are not in the mainstream on this site. I favor Aloes, Euphorbias, and anything Fat. I also like all kinds of Cacti. I collect all kinds of succulents, but the aforementioned are at the head of the list.

7 years ago

I'm with aloebot, those are my favorites, too. I also like the oddities... crested, variegated, etc. Thank you, ycloh!

Now a question for all of you... I bought this E. stellata at the cactus & succulent show I went to recently. When I got it home I repotted it into a grittier mix. Now I'm wondering if I should have buried the caudex so it would get fatter. Is it o.k. to do that after it's already been exposed?

If so, should I repot and bury it or leave it be? Another idea... I saw a photo recently (different type of plant) where they put duct tape around the top of the pot and filled in with mix. Then, after the roots got fatter, the duct tape and extra mix was removed to expose the roots. Should I try that? Don't know if duct tape would stick to a clay pot.

Here's the plant when I brought it home.

Here it is after repotting

• aloebot
    7 years ago

I wish I could give you good advise on this. I bought one like this a couple years ago and left it like this. It slowly deteriorated and then died. The caudex on this looks like it was recently exposed and so maybe would be ok submerged. If on close look the caudex is still fresh and not hardened off then I would move it down in the soil and not water for a long time. I would then check later to see if feeder roots have started acknowledging that I might set the growth back a little again. I would then be more assured that it will grow on and be healthy this point on.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I don't know that the actual caused will enlarge more being planted deeper. Here are some of my E. stellata. They were buried almost to the top of the caudex. I raised them a couple of inches.

It's a bit different when taking an arm cutting. I leave them buried for at least two years or longer before raising them up. This is E knuthii arm cutting and on the left is from seed.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks aloebot, stupidlazydog, pagan and all fat plants lovers. Please do share more and also share your technique.

I also like unique catus n succulent. But in Singapore only can grow select type. I like Haworthia alot. But don't work well here.

E. Francoisii

7 years ago

When I planted out a P.lamerei,it had outgrown a small 6" pot and you could see the fat root. I've wondered since then if they can be raised high?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Does anybody have an id for this? I bought it awhile back and I threw out the tag. I can't remember what it said. I think it gets white flowers. Thank you:).

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Possibly Pachypodium eburneum, if the flowers are singles.

• halocline
    7 years ago

stanofh - No, you should not raise Pachypodium lamerei. Repot at the same level.

Rob

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked halocline
  • Ben was 10a/26, now 7a/34
    7 years ago

Kara, it looks like a Sinningia to me!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Thank you for your ids Pagan and Ben. It is a Sinningia:)

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kara, sinningia leaves are fury.

7 years ago

Yeah, I was just thinking the leaves looked too furry for Pachypodium. Cute little guy, I'd love to see it in flower :-)

Here's my E. unispina. I saw a photo of one branching from the base and just had to have one so I bought a babe, about 1.5" tall. Well, I've had it since 2006 and no branches, not a one, just keeps growing taller :-( oh well, I still like it.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Sinningia! Whuddathot. I've sworn off gesneriads so that's kind of a relief. I'll just ogle yours from here on, Kara.

Here are some of mine (fall and spring growers) finally out of the basement.

Aloinopsis schooneesii; I'm showing you guys the ugly side because this is the spot I've had to remove pieces from to stop a spreading rot. That gave me two smaller clumps and it did stop the rot. No guts no glory, I guess.

Here is one clump, now two years old and still buried. I think I may have given the other one away, or it fell into a corner somewhere, never to be found.

And from left, Othonna euphorbiodes, Othonna clavifolia and Tylecodon ventricos (this one needs a butt-load of sun in winter).

And, below---really not fat yet, but it will be someday! I really like starting small. This one used to be taller but a Catzilla incident cut down the main trunk. Fortunately, it's crazy easy to root.

Tylecodon buchholzianus

My summer growers are still indoors.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tylecodon look unique. So is the pot...

7 years ago

All of you are a bad influence on my wallet. Pagan, I already have that Tylocodon on my plants I want list, and now I have to add the Aloinopsis. Love the pot the Tylocodon is in. Is that wood or pottery? Oh, and I really like the ugly side of your Aloinopsis, just makes it that much more interesting :-)

I like starting small, too, but as I get older I find myself going for larger sizes of some slow growers... don't want to wait until I'm 90 for certain plants to get big enough to notice!

• Pagan
    7 years ago

The Tylecodon buchholzianus? I got mine from C&D Plants, I bet they have more, considering how easy it is to grow from a cutting. At this size, I think they were less than $10.

The pot (wood) came from one of those drift wood things that you can buy from a fish store. I used a hole saw to drill a hole through one section so I could plant a clump of Deuterocohnia brevifolia in it (scroll above). Then I used a Forstner bit to drill out a cavity in the resulting plug. The piece you see in the front was a little more complicated to make. That had to be carved out of a piece of scrap mahogany and then sanded down to fit the thing.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Pagan, I had no clue you were that creative. Rather than grow plants, maybe an eBay storefront is in your future. And you even know how to use fancy drill bits to boot!!!!!

• aloebot
    7 years ago

ycloh; can you start a new fatties 2 thread?

• halocline
    6 years ago

UPDATE - One last post on my Cyphostemma jutiae featured earlier on this thread. (April 12th)

Rob

• Goh Ming
    3 years ago

@Ycloh1 (Singapore) can i know where is your nursery?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012