SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyfirerose

Split-Entry remodel in Ohio; What to do with my budget

Kay
7 years ago

My 1990s split level needs some work. I have halted my DIY projects mid-completion to consider a remodel given recent information that I may be able to spend more than I originally thought. I am about to have two newly-college students move in, for their fall semester, so I was going to try to fix things up as much as possible.

My budget is a, very strict, $32k. The house is about 1500 sqft; 1000 upstairs and 500 downstairs. Three bedrooms, two bathrooms. The current kitchen is almost-perfectly, 12'x12'. When I bought the house I fully intended upon a kitchen gut, and had the money, but some unexpected life events popped-up, and it just didn't happen. At this point, I have about 400 sq ft of wood floor, and 500 sq ft of granite tile, with about 100 sq ft of my basket-weave ceramic left.

I am curious what everyone's opinions are on the possibilities for my budget, as well as whether I should do a basic DIY or go with a design-build company. Obviously, a kitchen would be my first choice, especially since I love cooking, baking, preserving, etc. I'm wondering how far can I stretch my budget to make my entire house more appropriate compared to similar houses, and hoping I can give it a bit more style, but am not unreasonable.

A few of my ideas have included moving the kitchen/dining space downstairs and adding a semi-open den upstairs (we work from home, a lot), or doing an open-concept kitchen upstairs, trying to keep with the same foot-print. I'd love to include a face-lift of the main bathroom and a glass sliding door to the shower. These are all just brain-storming, though.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. Below is a "lovely" orange-brown-colored montage of when I bought the house and a few of what I have now. Everything new has been done myself. It doesn't look like a lot of changes, but a lot of repairs weren't cosmetic. Also, those beautiful hardwood floors were a bit pricey, even though I bought them on sale!

Let me know what you think, and any questions. I'm very torn on the whole thing.

Original:

A few current:

Comment (1)