SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Date crystals and Barhi Dates from Shields Date Gardens

Lars
7 years ago

We tried to go to Oasis Date Gardens in Thermal when we were passing through between Indio and Anza Borrego, but they were not open when we were there, and so I bought dates at Shields instead, where we also had breakfast and dinner our last night in Indio. At Shields, I bought a 1# assortment of dates and 1# of Medjool dates, because I was familiar with them. However, from the assortment of dates, I learned that I very much prefer Barhi dates, and so I tried to order some from Oasis (cheaper than Shields), but they were sold out, and so I ordered a 3# box from Shields. Since I was already paying shipping, I decided to order a 3# box of date crystals (Oasis does not have this), and so now I am having to decide how to use them. Shields uses date crystals to make their date shakes, and so I will do that, but I thought perhaps others of you may have other ideas as well. Shields also included a few of their own recipes.

Here's how Shields Restaurant looked at dinner:

and here's how the store looked in the morning:

As a side note, here is a photo of where we had our lunch in Anza Borrego:
We sat at a table at the end of this portico at the Butterfield Ranch Park and bought our drinks there, along with a couple of other supplies. We had chicken salad wrapped in lavash for our lunch with ginger ale.

A few days after the trip (Wednesday night) I came down with a terrible stomach virus that is going around, and I've been under the weather for the past six days. I had a fever of 102.6° on Thursday morning and had Kevin leave work to take me to the doctor, as I was very weak and extremely dehydrated. At first I thought it was food poisoning, perhaps from the chicken salad, but the doctor told me that the symptoms from food poisoning always appear within a few hours of eating the food, and so that was ruled out, especially since Kevin did not get sick. The doctor put me on the BRAT diet, and so Kevin got me some bananas, and I started making banana-date smoothies that are now a new favorite! To make them, I used one sliced banana, three chopped Medjool dates, 1 cup crushed ice, and 1/4 cup water, and I blended then in the Vitamix. I think now that I can make banana smoothies with date crystals, but the package says to make a frozen date paste before using the crystals in shakes, and so I guess I will have to make a batch of that.

Any other favorite date crystal recipes? I don't need recipes for dates, as I love eating them by themselves, but they were good in the banana smoothies, and so I might use them for something else as well.

The Barhi dates are softer and sweeter than Medjool dates, BTW.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm