All those beautiful pictures of nice healthy trees that people posted on
the March 2017 citrus PICS show your
trees
thread got me
wondering how many people have trees that are not doing so well or have died
over the last winter. At first I thought I had quite a few until I took
inventory.

Out of 43
trees that I have had for at least one year, four died. One of these was a 2-year-old Calamondin seedling
and two were 1-year-old Meyer lemon seedlings. Looks like seedlings are very susceptible to dying.

Of the 40 surviving trees, about 5 are suffering leaf drop, especially my variegated eureka lemon
that may not make it.

It is
interesting how I thought my trees were doing so poorly when in fact they weren’t
doing so badly after all. Thirty-five out 40 (88%) isn’t so bad!

How are
yours?

Vlad

Comments (58)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Crocodiles? Where are you? I hope you have fun, Steve.

And be careful!

• James (zone5b)
    7 years ago

1-yr old lemon seedling did well-- lost no leaves and is now putting on new growth. 2-yr old Kumquat the same.

I had a tangerine seedling that did not make it. Turned pale yellow all over and wouldn't respond to fertilizing, so I tossed it in the frozen garden early this month.

• Related Discussions

How many of your fruit trees died because of NE bad Winter?

Q

Comments (2)
    I've forgotten the name of one I left out the last 3 winters after taking it into a root cellar for 12 years. never got a fruit from it. It died this winter also- it may have been Jiro. It was a good sized tree so I expect some suckers I can graft onto. I had a Sheng from Nick England that gave me fruit the second year, but I think I over taxed it and it died the winter before last even though I sheltered it. I have another he raves about that I will protect as long as it eventually gives me fruit but after one season it is still tiny.
    ...See More

How did your trees do in the winter storm?

Q

Comments (3)
    Our winter blast came in with a low of 7F followed by a 6F. It gut up to freezing and dropped to 7F. We got snow that insulated most of my GH so my plants sailed through very nicely. I am glad to hear you trees did fine. Both my outside Cuban Shaddocks died as expected. The C.S. is not worth growing. 6b Steve PS we are slated to go 15 days and nights above freezing. This will be a record for Cincinnati.
    ...See More

How did your new tree do this winter?

Q

Comments (26)
    It was a "Green Mountain" sugar maple. It lasted beautifully through seven winters and grew like a weed...and then suddenly declined last spring. There was no suckering. Leaves were -- again -- very small, and became shriveled and brown at the margins during the summer, and leaf fall was early and without any colour. I'm scratching my head over a potential diagnosis, as roots weren't disturbed and winter temps 2016-2017 were pretty mild. In addition, all of my other zone 5-6 exotics survived this winter, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm placing my bets on drought, as we had almost no snow in the 2016-17 winter season.
    ...See More

Do you grow your Citrus trees inside in winter and what's your set up?

Q

Comments (48)
    Bklyn, it looks like you are using the same lights as I. Nice. Are those L.E.D light bulbs? Socal very nice. I love that reflection. It looks very bright in there. NO wasted light for sure. Kvetch, you are not kidding there. I can't believe how LONG we have had this cold, snow, and below average temps, and it's not even winter yet. I keep looking at the ten day forecasters outlook and now I see 30's . no 40's. I think I am going to be sick. The ones on the porch I have to water often if I use a fan. If I don't use a fan, it can take a few weeks before they need watering, but they only stay moist thank God. The one in my all season porch, I have to water those every few days because it's much warmer in there, much more sunlight, and I also use fans. LOl. I hear you about window hogging..lol Right now my tree and orchids are competing for the best spot. Jenny, very nice. One of these days I am going to get an Australian lime. Does it produce lots of flowers that smell nice? I would go after the fragrance more than anything.. Laura, didn't it seem like yesterday when we were growing them all outside? Boy do I miss the days when all you had to do was use a hose..((( Yes, all the twist and turns one has to take to get around each tree can be such a pain. Very nice looking too.I hear you got a couple of scale? That's easy to get rid of once and for good. Let me know if you need a suggestion.)
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I'm sorry too Jinny. I wonder if temps down that low for months could have contributed to their decline. My sunroom had low temps around 55 and highs around 60s-70s. If it got too warm in there I would open windows to circulate the air. I think I only used the heat pump in that room a couple of times. The room has a sliding glass door that separates it from the rest of the house so depending on how cold it was going to get that night, I would "eyeball" how much to leave the door open. My target low was about 55 (which I hit most nights). I have a digital thermometer that records the highs and lows in a 24 hour period so I was able to note that daily. My two other nagami kumquats are doing great. I'll try to take a pic later. Amanda, I'm sorry about your loss. Steve, be careful!! James, sorry about your tangerine!

• PacNorWreck
    7 years ago

My Meyer, which spent the winter just inside from my roof deck and under grow lights, dropped some leaves and had a couple twigs die back but still looks OK. It's outside now for the Spring but still in full shade (moving to part shade today). I'm hoping it will flush once I get it out into full sun in a few weeks. My Rangpur spent the winter alongside my Meyer and dropped about 1/3 of its leaves in protest of the lower light levels but put on a small flush of leaf growth a month ago inside and set about 30 baby fruitlets (I expect the tree will self-thin come June). It's also outside and is already in full sun. It lost a lot of leaves in a recent windstorm but I'm hopeful that it will be fine once things warm up. My Yuzu stays outside year round and is a little rough around the edges, but that seems to be normal. It didn't wake up from winter 'dormancy' until May last year, so I'm just keeping an eye on it. Now that they're outside, I won't need to water them again until May or June when we start to transition to the dry season here, although I'll probably give them concentrated shots of Foliage Pro once things warm up to get them growing again.

• Sammers510
    7 years ago

I had a Meyer and a Bearss over the winter and the Meyer looks like it had about 50% leaf drop and no new growth until now, its a fickle beast and I am not shocked. The Bearss lost maybe 10 leaves total but had new growth slowly most of the winter, its a champ compared to the Meyer. I got a Calamondin and NZL in early February and the Calamondin is doing fine but the NZL dried out expectantly, I had kept it in its small pot they sent it in trying to buy time for better weather for the repot and that was a mistake as I was needing to water it daily. I did an emergency 5-1-1 bare root repot over the weekend that went very well, I was able to get 98% of the old mix off and only a few bark chips were stuck in the root system. While I am sure it will drop all of the dry leaves eventually it hasn't yet and it seems to be doing well so far. I used Superthrive in the bucket of water I soaked the rootball/cleaned the old soil off and soaked the 5-1-1 in it before potting. I don't know if it helped but it hasn't seem as shocked as I was anticipating. Next year I am going to cut back on the lights and hope to just get them through winter instead of trying to keep them actively growing.

• Jason Robinson
    7 years ago

My Meyer, which was my best tree last summer, is pretty much toast. Key lime dropped all leaves and had some branches burn but is still mostly green. Only tree that made it through was a Tangerine tree, has all the leaves intact still

Was especially bummed about the Meyer since it was the only one to flower last summer

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Thank you, Amanda and Laura. It is so hard to loose a tree after you give it so much love and care. It is especially hard when the trees are thriving and then suddenly take a nose dive. I believe our citrus friends feel for each other when this happens. So, I am real sorry for those of you that lost trees...We have empathy for each other. I did have my sense about me, and took a couple of cuttings off of a few trees when it looked like they might not make it. Not sure how the cuttings will do in the long run, if they will root, but at least I tried.

Laura, the citrus that were in my sunroom only experienced a few nights in a row of high 30's. Then back to 40's at night, then one more night in high 30's during the month of January. Funny thing is, I kept my 1 1/2 year old Meyer seedling outside right next to my house up until the first of February. It lost it's leaves but had no branch dieback and survived nights in the single digits. . Amazing! The Meyer seedling was my first citrus seedling that I purchased and it was from Gurneys. . Lol

• Sammers510
    7 years ago

Jinny, My first Meyer was from Gurneys as well lol, it was a teensy little stick with maybe 5 leaves. I not knowing that citrus required special care treated it like a houseplant, planted it in a dense cheap potting soil, never fed it, and drowned the poor thing. I am pretty sure it was like $25+ shipping too, not a great deal. RIP little meyer. I know I feel for others when they lose their trees, so much love and work goes into them its heartbreaking when it fails despite that.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Sammers, sorry about your first little Meyer tree. I know you have learned a great deal about how to care for citrus since then. I was lucky, I got half off of my two little Meyer trees and two Key lime citrus etc. Gurneys had a 50% off coupon at the time. They were very nice seedlings..I potted my first citrus in a regular potting mix when I first got them, but I was very careful to let the soil dry out between waterings. The mix did drain well though.. I believe it was by Miracle Gro. I repotted them into the gritty mix the following spring. The one Meyer Lemon surprised me by producing two ripe lemons off of it last summer. They were a bit small when ripe but it still surprised me. I should have picked them all off, but left a couple on. Could not help myself. . Lol

Last year I had another 50% off coupon and ordered two more lemons and a lime etc.. I ordered very early, like November, the day after I received the new 2016 catalog. They had them in stock, but when it was time to ship out for my area, in April, I received a notice they were out of stock for the Meyer. I was not pleased. I guess they sent out the lemon trees to the warmer zones first and did not save any for me.. But, they did send me my Mexican Key Lime which was pittiful! Lol. .. So maybe I was lucky by not getting my lemon order.. You never know what you will get with Gurneys. . :D

• Sammers510
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's a learning experience for sure, That first tree was probably 8 years ago and it scared me away from citrus until last year. I've come a long way from it looks sad lets water it some more. Lol

That's a shame, I have had that happen a few times when you order something and they take months to tell you they ran out. Still with a 50% off and you can usually find free or discounted shipping offers from them it makes it a decent place to pick up a few small trees.

• Amanda Tyner
    7 years ago

I like Gurneys, that is where I got my calamondin from. It is such a hardy tree and it huge now after 2 years. I also really like Michigan Bulb, they offer free shipping so you can snag one of their citrus trees for $7-$10. I have used them for training on how to grow citrus. This mother's day I am getting a gold nugget from Four Winds! I am excited because they are so expensive with the shipping but I am feeling more confident about growing better trees since Laura and Mike have taught me so much! I am always on here trying to learn how to grow!

• Amanda Tyner
    7 years ago

And Vladimir has helped me a ton too! Thank you Vladimir! Hopefully ten yrs from now I will know enough to pay it forward! How is your 38 yr old calamondin doing? Is it flowering?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Amanda! How big are those cheapo trees that you got from Gurney's and Michigan bulb? I was tempted to get some decided against it thinking they were probably not worth getting. That calamondin is doing fine. By the way, it is not in 511 or gritty - it has been in Miracle Grow Citrus and Cactus Mix all these years. I haven't repotted it in at least 3 years so it is no doubt pot bound. I was going to repot it last spring but could not get up the courage because it would have required me to root prune it. I p;an to do that this spring but I may forgo the root pruning and simply put it into a larger container. I think it is in a 26 inch pot now. It has a funny habit of putting out a bunch of fruit and when it is done with that, it randomly puts out a few fruit at different times at different places on the tree until the next big bunch of fruit when it repeats the cycle.

Oh, and you are more than welcome!

• Amanda Tyner
    7 years ago

Hahaha they are definitely cheap! They are usually a foot and a half tall with 10-15 leaves in 2-4 in pots. Just babies. I do not know if they are on their own roots or grafted. They grow fast though. The first summer they triple in size. My lemons flower all the time but my calamondin is just a huge bush! It keeps sending out new growth and could easy support a bumper crop. I just didn't want to start out with expensive trees in case I killed one due to being a novice (& I did, one lemon died). My new lemon from record buck farms is much more impressive compared to gurneys and michigan bulb (michigan bulb sends bigger, better trees than gurneys IMO). it is not a baby! If you dont mind waiting a year or two for a tree to put on size and girth then gurneys and michigan bulb will save money. If you want fruit immediately then its not what you want. When my dad saw how small my trees were he laughed and said in ten years when it fruits ill take a glass of lemonade haha!

That is amazing about your calamondin! I hope my tree lives that long! I can't wait to make marmalade!

I just got some new light bulbs that Laura recommended and HOLY COW they are so bright! I have been missing out in the brightness department! My blue red LEDS are not bright enough!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Vladimir helped me quite a bit also when I first became active on this forum. I have lots of trees now, but only really went hog wild getting more varieties over a year ago. My two oldest citrus are a Meyer and Persian lime....I think they are both about 7-8 years old. Amanda, I have been eyeing that gold nugget myself. Maybe I'll ask for it also ;-)

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Hi everyone! Well the season is almost upon us and I am starting to think more about my trees and garden. I have been so busy with work this year I am way behind schedule... I haven't even started my seedlings yet and I am about 2 months behind for peppers at least. Yikes! This month I have more travel and then will be back to my normal spring schedule for the start of May. So I will be back and more active on the forum by then :).

So I am officially a tree killer as well... I have quite a few casualties myself. However, most of them were the ones that went into winter already looking weak so I am not too surprised. I only had 2 I think that surprised me. I will provide a final tally soon, but I am thinking that about 6 went off to citrus heaven, out of 36. Most of the sick dead ones were the record buck cuttings so again I don't feel too bad for losing them. The good news is that 2 of my cuttings from last summer are taking off like gangbusters so at least 2 of my dead varieties will be replaced for free with my own stock so that is a nice feeling. It's such a mystery to me that some trees do amazing in my room and some do terrible... I am still trying to figure it out.

My philosophy for this year will be:

1. smaller is better... I am going to try and only order 1 gallons as those seem to do the best for me/acclimatize best for my climate. My little one gallons are raging! I will just have to exercise patience and grow them out myself

2. no more buying rooted cuttings- I will make my own or buy grafted trees and will try and make better selections based on rootstock

3. smaller pots are better... I am going to resist up-potting unless absolutely necessary, for my winter room conditions a tighter pot is better for space and for cool root zone maintenance

4. I'm going to be in less of a rush to repot my new arrivals. If the mix looks good and the tree seems happy and in the right size pot I am going to leave it be and let it settle

I have my orders all in and have requested that they ship closer to May when I can focus on them.

We are also enjoying an early spring! We have already been in the high 50s during the day which is a very good start. The nighttime lows are still too low to bring them outside but as soon as I am around to keep an eye on them they will be going into the garage where I can harden them off.

I love this time of year!!

Sorry to hear of your losses guys, but that's how we learn and how we will get better!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby so glad your back really missed you !! So sorry for your losses and you are sooooo right it is a real learning experience but when you find what works for your situation you won't lose any more even the cuttings . Spring is so slow to come here we've had about 20 inches of snow in the last week and a half but it's agorgeous sunny day here today love it .

Brian

7 years ago

Hi Brian! Yes I have been watching your weather and it looks like it has been quite trying. Well we are almost through the thick of it, today we are outside doing a mini spring clean up and it feels hot in the sun! So nice to get some fresh air.

I have seen your pics and your trees look amazing as always. Thanks for the encouragement, we all hate to have casualties but there is no point in beating your self up about it.

Oh, one bit of good news, I just harvested my first kiyomi tangor today! This is my first ever non calamondin/kumquat/lemon/lime so it is exciting! I was trying to wait for it to fully colour up but the squeeze test was telling me it was ripe. It was incredibly juicy and SUPER SWEET! I think it may have been a tad over ripe actually, since there was no hint of acid at all. Also the peel stuck a bit to the flesh in a few areas, does that indicate anything regarding ripeness?

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby very nice looking piece of fruit never heard of that variety of tangor I'm going to have to do a little research. Some varieties are easier to peel then others my Tango's are a little difficult to get into were my others are very easy . Hobby I haven't lost a tree yet knock on citrus wood it's been a learning experience for me to this year with the new greenhouse my watering schedule is all over the map really depending how much sunshine there was with my old GH it was once every two weeks no matter what . This winter has been very challenging with the snow breaking some smaller outdoor shrubs so glad it's just a bad memory now . Very glad you're back .

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Just reading Hobby on your kiyomi tangor sounds like a gem of a fruit . Where the heck did you find this variety?

Brian

7 years ago

Good to know about the easiness to peel factor, thank you! Yes you guys got way more snow than us this year, can't say I didn't mind the break. I can imagine it is a full time job watching the watering in your greenhouse, what is the longest you have ever managed to go away on vacation? I am terrified at the thought of relying on someone to monitor my trees for water lol.

I got the kiyomi tangor from fruit trees and more on Vancouver island. They have some good varieties but they charge a rather exorbitant (I think) handling fee on top of shipping so watch for that if you decide to order.

I have asked before and they do not like to tell customers where the stock actually came from and they put on their own generic tags so that's all I know. It is grafted though. Here's a pic of the whole tree, it has always had an extremely twisty weepy shape so I keep it loosely staked but it just keeps growing in a pretty crazy fashion. Can't complain too much, it has another nice fruit forming and it has always been super vigorous!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Nice looking tree Hobby sorta kinda looks like a Satsuma has that same weeping habit , looks really nice and healthy. Very interesting variety it's supposed to be super sweet. Now that you mention the nursery I remember visiting their website a while ago , thanks Hobby. Hobby the watering is much more difficult at our new home, instead of using a hose as I used to do at our older home I bucket it now and it has not been very pleasant walking from the house to the GH with all the snow we've had and in no circumstance would I ever trust anyone with the watering of my tree's lol so no I have no life but getting used to that .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

All my trees made it this year and are going outside permanently. My seed grown Meiwa kumquats are down to 9 in number.

all 9 with the tallest just under 6 inches.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Nice to see you back Hobby! That tangor sounds great. Please don't give me any ideas....;-). I'm sorry about your losses. It is tough. I am planning to reuse the mix and pot I had my kumquat in for a really nice cara cara I have, but my girls still want to cling to hope and do not want him uprooted. I don't think there is hope so I may do the operation when they are not around (or at least paying attention). It is amazing, my trees have been outside 8-9 days now and some nights it has gotten down to 45 and some days the highs have been in the low to mid 50s...they are still growing! I hope you guys can get yours outside soon!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Guy's just tried my first pummelo from one of my trees it was a huge piece of fruit I don't know the name of the variety. Wasn't sure if it was ready I added a little sugar to it and it wasn't bad kind of tasted like a grapefruit and there was enough juice so not to dry .

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

That looks great Brian! I am so impressed that you have been able to grow those up there. I hope you enjoyed it!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Brian I can.t imagine myself growing fruit that big here.

My original NZl from pip has a lot of mew growth.

• kesha gregory
    7 years ago

I just love reading about everyone's trees! I lost three trees over the winter, my oro Blanco, baby shiranui, and one miracle fruit tree. It must have been those pesky spider mites but I sprayed every three days then weekly when I saw webbing on my oro blanco but it was just a losing battle for me. This was before I had the tent and misting system. I have two Meyer lemons (one is looking pretty bad right now but I confirmed that it is still alive and the other was a late fall purchase from a local nursery that turned out to be infested with cushiony scales so it spent about 4 months in isolation until I could get it under control), one larger Shiranui (I purchased from Harris a few weeks ago to replace the baby I lost), a page mandarin (replacement for the oro Blanco I lost), a (new zealand) lemonade (a new purchase from Stan), and my last miracle fruit tree hanging on for dear life. That tree produced tons of berries last year and was doing well until my misting system gave out on me. It declined within the three weeks it took for me to replace it. I also have two fig trees that overwintered in the garage with zero issues.

By November, I set up a grow tent in my basement with lights and the first misting system. My surviving trees loved it until the mister crapped out on me. I used distilled with the first system but now have a RODI filtration system to make water for the one I am using now (My husband also uses the water for his salt water fish tank).

My page and shiranui are in bloom and set a few tiny fruits. I just put them out for the season.

7 years ago

Brian you have to get water piped back to your greenhouse it would make life so much easier, any plans? Awesome pomelo! That is an exciting fruit to harvest.

Glad you didn't lose any Steve, keeping a collection small is smart, can't say it agrees with me though lol.

hi Laura! Thanks for the sympathy- onwards and upwards right? Sorry about your kumquat as well, if you can't save it no one can so don't feel too bad :). How is Enzo doing? Give us an update would you? Glad your trees are already out I can't wait to get mine out and spray the heck out of them! It's just so nice to get outside again and not have to be all bundled up.

Great news about your new bees! I had 3 hives go into winter but only one made it, but luckily it was my one remaining hive from my first year here- so at least I can preserve the genetics. I inspected one of the other 2 and it appears they starved as the population looked quite huge an healthy. Bummer I hate it when I am pretty sure my mismanagement probably contributed to their demise.

Sounds like a great set up Kesha!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Laura, how are your bees?

7 years ago

That is adorable! They can be really silly and funny that's for sure. Beau is about 97 lbs so pretty much right on your calculation. He's funny with food, not a pig at all, just eats enough to be satisfied and then wanders away... even when I feed him his favourite, rice and meat scraps!

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Laura,

Our good friends have two sweet Maremmas and they are massive. Male is 150lbs and female is 120lbs. Female looks just like a polar bear. I think my lab is sweet but those two are absolute angels. Your puppy is just precious. Hope you post more as he grows. Love that name Enzo too!

Nancy

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Mines, let me just say HORRIBLE!!! All but one did well because I lost all interest in all of mine but one. I let them get over dry, some I threw out and others and just said "let the strongest survive my abuse"...I got pretty depressed this winter and tired of waiting for sunny warm days and then caring for my sick mom..So, yeah, I could of done better and I am hoping the nice warm sun can fix most of my issues..(

Good to see everyone)

Vladimir, can't wait for next week because all of mine will head outdoors!

Laura, always nice pics and beautiful trees along with everyone else..

Brian congrats buddy!! Hugs man!!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Mike I am sorry to hear of your citrus woes. My basement NZL did poorly., I moved it outside today.

• Jontte Kinnu
    7 years ago

Citruses did make it, with help of total 200w CFL. Growth was good and compact, let the sun do its job from now on. Calamondin bloomed and several fruitlets is still hanging around, although our 2 year boy likes to rip some off if he gets a change. For the last month it stayed behind north facing window, so it didnt grow at all during that time. Hope southern exposure and then putting it out will make it feel better. My only goal with it for this season is to get it to build some more root mass.

I just lost one 1 month old kumquat seedling, it just browned up and dried still standing up.

Summer, here we come(even here up north)!

7 years ago

I'm sorry mike but I'm sure they will rebound- don't be too hard on yourself as people and life have to come first and it can become discouraging when some trees deteriorate even when we are doing everything right.

I think a let quite a few of mine get overdry too so I have some extra leaf drop right now. I'm also dying to go the outside and let nature heal all wounds!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Wow Laura now that's a handful literally lol what a beautiful pup nice pic .

Steve your New Zealand has caught the spring fever thing a ton of growth. Steve I had those white flies gone now after spraying them with water felt like 100 times .

Hobby I wish I had water going to the GH will probably get a quote on that job this summer . All the walking back and forth from the house to the GH isn't hurtling me helps burn off a few of those calories from all those sweets i I love to eat

Mikey my friend hang on Buddy the good stuff is right around the corner I hope . It's been a very rough winter, it will make summer that more special. Hope Mom has a quick recovery hugs buddy .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Brian I think the white flies are all dead. I sprayed with oil and then they seemed to stick to the oil and die.

My first tomato of the season.

The fact that this tomato has hair we can assume it is a mammal.

6b Steve

Original Author
    7 years ago

No, because it does not have teats.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Hobby, he is silly and also NOT food motivated at all. Like Beau, he eats what he wants and no more. He does not like the trainer and I am going to stop going because he works much better for me. He finds it boring and does not understand why a total stranger is trying to tell him what to do. He does not even want her treats!

Nancy, that is nice to hear. He is awfully sweet...basically follows me around and where I go, he lays down nearby. He loves everyone else also, but he thinks I'm his mom...lol...like I needed a fifth kid! I don't think he will get as big as your friend's because his father was not that big. I suspect he will be like Beau.

Mike, I am so sorry you've not been happy. Winter is tough and having a sick parent to care for cannot help. We are always here for you if you need some friends. I hope you do not have as many casualties as you claim...that would truly be depressing. I hope you can get your trees outside soon.

Steve, I'm glad you got that tree in the ground. Please let us know how it grows.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I typed out my post before seeing Vlad's and Steve's...you guys crack me up! Brian, thanks! I hope you can also get your trees out soon. You too Hobby!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Steve congratulations that's a beauty! !! . Bacon and tomato sandwiches? Glad those flies are gone they are a real pain .

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Oh forgot to mention I've been inside the GH watering the plants tonight and just noticed my bird of paradise , the blooms are just beginning to open up now . Love spring.

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

That is a lovely flower Brian! I remember those from my youth in Miami! Beautiful!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Thanks Laura funny you say that because it reminds me to of the bird paradise plants that where in front of my parents condo in Indian Shores near Tampa Florida, those were the days!!! Laura I forgot to mention to you that I ordered two Gold Nugget tree's they should be here in May I can't wait :)

Brian

• Jontte Kinnu
    7 years ago

Wow, cant wait for my bird of paradise to bloom. It just might be difficult to get it bloom here. Its just a seedling with 2 leaves, so I guess it takes a couple of years to reach maturity. But, still a lovely plant that brings a little touch of tropics.

I need to draw straws to decide which plants to keep during following years, the space ain't unlimited :D

7 years ago

Wow a tomato already- amazing! Gorgeous birds of paradise Brian.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Thanks Hobby the bird of paradise is a beautiful plant and so easy . Just waiting in the waiting room at the dentist office now root canal work in a few minutes :(

Brian