SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcandmilo

Oranges and lemons and limes, oh my! (a tale of woe)

kcandmilo
7 years ago

Today I learned that that I have been wrong about citrus my whole life! And this has made me plant the wrong kind of citrus in my yard :(

In my mind, citrus was largely grouped into oranges, lemons and limes. Oranges had the requisite color, and were categorized by loose or tight jackets, and included mandarins, kumquats, navels, seville, malta and so on.

Lemons were lemon yellow, and not necessarily the most tart citrus, but used for the sweetness of the rind, which could be preserved. Came thin or thick skinned, and had subtle variation in fragrance.

Limes were most diverse, and off the top of my head, I can recall growing up with a key lime type, a wrinkly dark green citron, a bitter and very thick skinned one that was mostly used dried or salted, and an almost floral scented one.

And then there was sweet lime that had a mild drinkable juice, not as intensely flavored as orange, not as tart as lemons, and often topped with a seltzer or sprinkled with a bit of salt.

Then thanks to Molewacker sending me to the UCR site, (what a great resource!) I realized these are not only not absolutes, but I was totally wrong about so many things, and I have not planted even one high acid fruit.

I have a Rangpur lime, a sweet lime, a Meyers improved lemon, a finger lime, an unknown sprawling unhealthy citrus that was already there, and has yet to flower, but I think is a lemon.

So if I wanted a high acid citrus that would do well in the ground in northern california what would you suggest?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths