SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

Which is your fastest growing non-climber?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Mine is the single red bought as Bengal Beauty (probably the same as Bengal Fire, Sanguinea etc). This rose is growing so fast since very early in the season that it seems to me I can tell the difference from one day to the next. I planted it in the ground from the pot I kept it for a year only back in October and it has grown to 4ft by now, despite our chillier than usual winter, all the while putting out huge single blooms in various shades of deep red depending on the weather, at the same time carrying large round hips.

It is also completely, absolutely and terribly healthy with spotlessly clean leaves. I believe it is going to grow very large. It is growing faster than my Mutabilis' bought and planted at the same time are. I love this rose which I consider to be a single flowered Tea rather than a China.

If you live in a warm climate and want a large, red flowered, no fuss, ever blooming landscape/speciment shrub you could do worse than consider this rose. I can very well imagine it right in the middle of one of those prized lawns of yours out in California. Its only minus maybe that it may shutdown during very hot spells, judging from what it did for me last year but then, only a few roses don't.

Comments (8)