SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breathnez

Stages of development in bonsai gardening

breathnez
7 years ago

What stages of developing as a bonsai artist/gardener can you describe as having gone through? This is all very unscientific, and maybe what I list others might not consider as true stages, but this post is about reflecting back and sharing your journey. Here's mine, mostly self-taught(meaning no formal training with a school or bonsai master, but credit must be given to a few books and MANY online websites, forums and images):

1. The movie Karate Kid. I saw bonsai development as a talisman to greater self-awareness. This period brewed for 20+ years, and was layered over by involvement in college, career development, marriage and raising children.

2. The excited bumbler. Just in the beginnings of midlife, my wife plopped a gift in front of me: a brush cherry twig in a bonsai pot from a local nursery. Perfect time to renew self-discovery. This lasted a few months, until a few bad choices in pruning and some bad watering techniques led me to...

3. The can I keep it alive? stage. Here there were many glances directed back and forth from work table to trash can. Here I did a marvelous thing: I bought a second stick in a pot. Now I had one looking good and one looking, well, misshapen. This is important later. This stage lasted less than two years, when fresh, strong growth started appearing on both in summertime.

4. The what the hay bale am I doing? stage. All my basic care and selected pruning was not producing a masterpiece. I had bigger sticks with some form to them. What kept me going over the next several years was a desire to not give up on them because I didn't want to give up on me. Note, the famous Co-Dependent No More, Whitfield's book Boundaries, and Bahai scriptures were in use as much as books on bonsai during this span.

5. Novice. Now in my second decade of bonsai gardening, I better understand trunk thickening and branch development (thank you Peter Tea), have benefited greatly from The Artistic Foundations of Bonsai Design by Andy Rutledge, and the third tree I ever bought is in its second decade with me and is the first tree of mine to enter a phase where I can begin ramification. Amazingly enough, I may be a novice on life as well. I realize every human soul needs to be cared for, and my own equally so.

6. Who knows? I can't see beyond being a novice. I never thought it would take so long to get here, but now It doesn't matter how long it takes to move beyond. I hope you have had some laughs, may the Power that is bless and guide you, and I warmly invite you to share your story!

ez

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County