SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyin_lowe

Adjusting temps on dual zone system

7 years ago

Before I recently replaced my HVAC system (heat pump with electric aux. heat) my original system was way undersized. It had a baffle to create dual zone and we would typically turn the heat way down in the downstairs at night and turn the heat up upstairs. Then switch it around during the day. They system could not really keep up with our two story house when it was trying to heat/cool both stories at once.

I now have a true dual zone system with a new furnace in my attic and a separate system in the garage for the down stairs. Both are heat pumps with electric auxiliary heat.

During the week nobody is home all day so I typically set the downstairs to 65 degrees when my wife goes to bed around 8:00 pm and it stays there until she gets home from work at approximately 4:00 pm the following day. She slowly gets it back up to about 69-70 until she goes to bed again. So it sits at 65 for about 18-20 hours a day

All the bedrooms in are house are upstairs and typically that stat stays set on 67 degrees. Most of the time it is warmer up there because our stairway is very large and open. I won't really know how my heat bills are going to be until next year. On the weekends when the kids are home and up there we run it up to 70.

Do most of you who have dual zone systems try to keep both stats at the same temp? I didn't know if they run more efficient when kept at the same temps? I was thinking if the downstairs was set at 70 and the upstairs was on 67 my warmer air would be rising quicker and the cooler air would be coming downstairs, is this they way it works? I've read mixed opinions on heat pumps, if you should drop the temps at night etc. or if you should just leave them set at one temp all the time.

Comments (11)