SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkih

Looking at kitchen ideas for my friend

AnnKH
7 years ago

Hi gang! After completing my kitchen remodel 3 years ago, I've stuck around, and now I want to do something with my friend's kitchen. She is serving in Afghanistan for a year, so nothing will happen any time soon - but I thought sending her plans would give her something to think about during her deployment.

She and her hubby are early 30's, no kids. Both do some cooking, but I wouldn't call either a chef. The house is a split level, with living room and kitchen one one level; bedrooms are up a half flight of stairs; den, laundry, and garage are down a half flight. The front door opens into the kitchen. The house was built in 1987; the kitchen is original.

Here is the existing layout of the kitchen and first floor. There are upper cabinets over the peninsula, and a small pantry closet on the kitchen wall (near the stairs) that I forgot to draw in.. The pantry extends into the garage. They have a bar-height table in the kitchen; the previous owners of the house had a table in front of the window on the left.

There is a basement under the kitchen/LR, but I don't think they would want to move the plumbing. The stub wall could maybe come down, though it does have light switches on it. I don't have photos, unfortunately, though I could probably get some.

The biggest problems: the DW has a handle, so the drawer next to the range can only open with the DW is open. No landing space next to the fridge (except the table); minimal prep space.

Here is my first cut - I got rid of the peninsula, moved the fridge to the right of the range, and moved the DW to the other side of the sink. I added an island (which I know she would love to have). I know it doesn't follow ice - water - stone - fire, but she doesn't want a sink on the island.

I know that budget is going to be an issue - I really want them to go Ikea or other RTA, so I can do the assembling!

Comments (5)