SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

I'm getting it off my chest and then I am letting it goooooo

Aims
7 years ago

My retired parents are moving back to town.

They initially set a budget of around $200K, a 3/2/2 plus an office, approx 2,000 sq ft for the house here and started shopping. All the sudden we were looking at houses that were $30K-$40K over this budget and much larger in sq footage.

Yesterday they saw a builder show home for the upcoming summer tour of homes and of course were smitten with all of the upgrades he is putting in it. The cost of the house is $10-$15 sq foot higher than a regular new build which is around $20K-$30K more. So all these upgrades though discounted for the tour are still costing a lot of money. And it's in a neighborhood that builders are trying to revitalize. This house will be one of the most expensive houses with a newer apt complex around the corner and earlier built houses from years ago that aren't nearly as nice. It's a rather mixed bag I would say.

They asked my opinion because hubby and I custom built our house 2 years ago and I stated my peace. I didn't think it was a good idea because the neighborhoods surrounding the house aren't great and that it was significantly more money than they had originally planned to spend. My husband the police officer also spoke up about the neighborhood. He knows our city well.

They signed the papers for that house today and as my husband has reminded me, it's not my money and that despite some not smart financial decisions they have made in the past, my parents have made the choice that they want. I love my parents and don't want them to get into a bad financial situation long term. It's going to be a very nice house when it's done though.

And now I am letting this gooooooo because it is not my money and not my business. I just needed to get it off my chest to a bunch of strangers who don't know me.

Comments (3)