SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odjtito

Ideas for tropical backyard Zone 10a-b

Orlando Diaz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm located in Palm Beach, FL. I'm in the beginning stages of sprucing up my backyard to give it a more tropical feel. My home is decorated with a tropical/beach/ocean theme and I want to continue that outdoors.

I have a large enclosed sunroom with a wide view of the back yard. The back yard is on the north side of my home. There is a picnic bench in the center and a large Florida Maple tree behind it. Here's a pics to illustrate:

Wide angle view: The north east corner is directly behind the red patio umbrella.

The hedges on the right-side fence line are the invasive Brazilian Pepper (Florida Holly). They are horrible and I have severe allergic skin reactions to them so they will eventually meet there demise. The Florida Maple is the tree in the center.

Here's a panoramic view from inside sunroom:

Plenty of sun hits the backyard. The Maple provides partial shade during different parts of the day to the right and left of it.

Layout:

I'm wanting a few palm trees to the right and left of tree and a 3rd on the rightside fence line. I need suggestions on palm tree types. Then some ideas on what I could further do along the fence lines to fill in.

Keep in mind that the rear wood fence will need to be replaced so I need a little space between landscaping and fence. The right fence line will also have a wood privacy fence installed eventually after I get rid of the Brazillian Peppers. I have to watch my spending so I will be doing this a little at a time.

Comments (9)