SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yipla

First time saving tubers, will they sprout?

I'm in Zone 10b and I bought a bunch of tubers in Swan Island's end of season sale last year. They arrived late May and I planted them in June and only half survived and grew. I was just growing them on last year to try and save more tubers for this season.

I left them in the ground maybe too long? There were 5 varieties left that gave good clumps. I dug them in early February and didn't know what I was doing. I couldn't see any eyes so I rinsed them off and let them dry about 2.5 weeks before looking into more information and realizing I shouldn't have done that. Since I still could not determine what were eyes, I just planted the whole clumps back into containers. That was done 2/25.

One clump actually had green sprouts when I dug it and it seems to be doing ok. The other 4 were firm and seemed healthy when I replanted on 2/25 but I really could not see any eyes and I still can't. I have planted them so that the meristem area is above soil and I can try and see any change, but so far I can't see any difference. They just look brown. Maybe they never formed eyes? What do you all think? I'll try to post pics.

Comments (27)