SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyjean11

Kitchen half-wall height

emilyjean11
7 years ago

Looking for advice on the half-wall height for our kitchen remodel. We're planning on a 36" high peninsula and since it will butt up to the half-wall for the stairs going down to our basement, we had thought to add 4" or so to the wall for outlets and to keep things from rolling off the peninsula and down the stairs which would put the half-wall at 42"+ on the kitchen side. We use the half-wall on the opposite side of the peninsula as a buffet frequently when entertaining and 42" seems a bit high in my opinion if we want to keep all three walls around the stairs the same height. So my question is three-fold. Option1: Do we have a 42" wall on all three sides? Option2: Or do we have 42" in the kitchen and then step it back down to 36" on the other 2 sides? Option 3: Or do we forego the wall outlets for the peninsula and keep the half wall 36" on all three sides? I'm leaning towards option 2 but am keen on symmetry so worry that the differing heights will drive me crazy. The entire house is open concept so we have dining and living areas on the opposite side of the kitchen. Thanks!

Comment