SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyjj58

Your best storage solution?

Amy J
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

There are so many great storage solutions out there, but sometimes I wonder if a few of them are even practical.

I would argue that it isn't safe to store knives down low - easily available to kids - and that this location isn't even very convenient.

Urban Loft - Storage Solutions · More Info

Doesn't this seem like a giant waste of space?

Pristine in the Country · More Info

Wouldn't it be inconvenient to pull this out with wet hands just to you can dry them?

Traditional Cherry · More Info

So which ingenious storage solutions have you actually used and loved?

Comments (57)

• johnsoro25
    7 years ago

My two favorites are my super Susan, which holds all of my small appliances, and my tray divider, which holds all things long and flat- baking sheets, muffin pans, cooling racks, cutting boards and placemats. So convenient to find and grab those things.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

The best decision I made was to not do a pullout on a 9" wide tall cabinet between the fridge and the tall oven cabinet. I elected to save those inches that would have been taken up by hardware. I added extra shelves. I ended up finding some clear plastic bins that are just the right size for sliding in and out of that deep cabinet. I'll be able to see what is in them at a glance. I'm designating a couple shelves for dog food cans and soda. One type of item per shelf.

• Related Discussions

Best corner storage solutions?

Q

Comments (1)
    You pretty much have 5 choices for inside corners: 1) easy reach for upper and super susan easy reach for lower 2) diagonal for both (mix 'n' match works too) 3) dead space 4) inside corner drawers 5) Rev-a-shelf type pullout People really seem to have a comfort level with some or all of these solutions - meaning they love some and hate others. I've linked a recent thread on this which you may find helpful, but there are others with photos and testimonials on why individuals love what they have, or not. Google "kitchen blind corners" and you'll get a bunch of hits, many from GW. This is an issue that everyone struggles with. Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on topic
    ...See More

Care to share your best kitchen storage ideas?

Q

Comments (47)
    I had a few extra inches planned between my refrigerator and framed entranceway so that the refrigerator door could open fully. A panel was supposed to cover it. I never would have been able to do something really useful with the few inches as I didn't need a pull-out that big right next to my doorway. After the sheetrock was put up, we discovered a few more inches! I remembered that someone on this forum had a cabinet mounted sideways next to the refrigerator so that it opened out. I kind of used that idea but the cabinet opening is on the other side of the doorway. So now I've got a recessed custom built-in cabinet in my tiny mudroom. The cabinet depth is the door frame and "kitchen filler space". The filler space is covered by a small panel and I think of it as my reclaimed/found space! jayne
    ...See More

Tell me about your favorite cabinet insert or storage solution

Q

Comments (24)
    My tall oven cabinet came with a shelf, so I just put it high enough to fit my griddle and extra long platters and then placed the dividers on top of the shelf. The dividers can be screwed down, but I didn't bother as they don't move much without the screws and it also meant I didn't have to drill holes in my shelf! Even if the cabinet had not come w/the shelf, I was going to ask for one since I already had planned for this storage based on what I had seen here in the thread linked below. I think I got the idea from Gizmonike and Sail-Away. BTW...I was originally going to get the Rev-A-Shelf dividers but put these from Walmart in temporarily. The Walmart ones worked so well that I didn't bother to replace them...besides, I would have needed 6 packs of 2-dividers each and at $14.95 per 2-pack, this was much cheaper! I used 3 dividers from Walmart at $5.95 each, so $18 vs $90...easy decision! I also bought two more of those dividers and put them under my corner prep sink...one in each deep corner One holds cutting boards, the other holds my pizza stones & cast iron frying pan. Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: tray cabinets - top 1/2 wasted space
    ...See More

What's your favorite Anti-Static solution(s)?

Q

Comments (8)
    I try not to dry bone dry. I fold as I remove from dryer then let sit on bed for an hour before putting away. This helps with the daily t-shirts and socks etc. However with regular baseboard heat everything seems to have static, especially synthetics, wool, and down. If it's bad I use Static Guard. Mostly I get little shocks (touching the light switch or door knob) every time I walk in or out of the apartment when wearing a down coat and wool sweater.
    ...See More
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

My favorites are above oven dividers for cookie trays/baking sheets, knife insert in drawer above trash, divided insert for cutting boards in drawer and my chefs drawer.

• User
    7 years ago

My favorite storage solution is when I take a load to Goodwill and a load to the dump:)

That's one of my solutions, too.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

The best decision I made was to not do a pullout on a 9" wide
    tall cabinet between the fridge and the tall oven cabinet. I elected to
    save those inches that would have been taken up by hardware. I added
    extra shelves. I ended up finding some clear plastic bins that are just
    the right size for sliding in and out of that deep cabinet. I'll be able
    to see what is in them at a glance. I'm designating a couple shelves
    for dog food cans and soda. One type of item per shelf.

Yeah, sometimes low-tech is best. Some of the Pinterest-Fabulous things we all see are perfect for the person who has a dozen items to organize and is willing to spend $2000 on custom cabinetry to do it.

Stan: try this http://www.kitchensource.com/cabinet-organizers/na-trasta.htm

That's a fair price too.

My favorite storage solution is when I take a load to Goodwill and a load to the dump:)

That's one of my solutions, too.

I've recently done a major clean-out in my living room /den ... and it'll be the kitchen's turn over spring break.

My areas of trouble: I own 7 sets of dishes and am not willing to part with so much as a saucer ... and I own 100+ cake pans (of course, I need all those sizes and shapes; for what I charge for a wedding cake, I'd better be able to produce a 14" hexagon shaped cake at a moment's notice) ... and then there are my cake stands.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

and I own 100+ cake pans (of course, I need all those sizes and shapes

Oh I can so relate. I made a list and I hit around 150 and that doesn't count other bake ware like sheet pans, bundt pan and bread pans. Cake decorating was just a hobby but I have cake pans all over the house. I have a long drawer under our king sized dresser bed and huge plastic bins full. My solution is going to be to store just the basic rounds,squares and rectangles in the kitchen. We are doing floor to ceiling cabinets in the laundry room that will hold the rest. Still trying to come up with the best way to store all those odd shaped character pans in there. (stacked dividers or vertical?) Definitely will be labeled. I really should let them go but I know as soon as I do the grand kids will come up with a theme and that will be the pan I miss. ;-(

• townlakecakes
    7 years ago

Watchmelol, I don't know if you're really ready, but when I moved into this house with a tiny kitchen and no storage, all of my shaped pans went into a high chair box in the garage. Haven't touched them since. For character cakes, I usually just use a frozen buttercream transfer. I've never looked back. When I reload my kitchen after the remodel is done, I'm planning on sorting all my cake supplies and selling (as a lot) anything I haven't used in the last 1-2 years. The shape pans will go. I'll keep my rounds, squares and sheet and nothing else.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Townlakecakes I am just about ready, but with preschool aged grands I will hang on to those shaped pans a bit longer. I am doing a lot fewer cakes now also. My alpine white buttercream is not tasting the same as before since they removed transfats from the high ratio shortening and fudge base. The mouth feel is off and it is greasy like store bought cakes. UGH So I am doing more baking with home style icings. Unfortunately those aren't very heat stabile in mid July outdoor heat although they are delicious. No more outdoor decorated cakes for us.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Shaped cake pans left when I did the big clean out at time of kitchen remodeling. I won't be baking anything heart shaped again!

But the 9 sets of china? Like you, MrsPete, I did not part with a saucer. Thank heavens for the huge corner cupboard we had built in for the TV 32 years ago, when the small room was our TV room. After my mother died in 1993, we took my DS's room (out of college and living elsewhere) and turned it into our library (built more bookcases) and turned the small TV room into a breakfast room. The cupboard us a perfect place to store many of the sets of dishes.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

I have one of those towel drawers. It is highly underused. It is not as bad as it seems, as the rack slides out automatically when the door is opened. It is also intended to be used only when drying a towel, say at night after cooking is done. We only put one in because we were left with a small extra space.

I have too much kitchen stuff and really should downsize. My best storage solution was giving myself permission to put extra shelves in the basement and storing extra seasonal items or seldom used specialty items there (e.g., electric buffet server).

Seriously, though, small configurable storage shelves to help subdivide the space between shelves have been a big storage expander.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

Still trying to come up with the best way to store all those odd shaped
    character pans in there. (stacked dividers or vertical?) Definitely
    will be labeled. I really should let them go but I know as soon as I do
    the grand kids will come up with a theme and that will be the pan I
    miss. ;-(

I don't have any shaped character pans (unless seashell cupcake pans are shaped), so I can't help you with that issue. I have 4" deep circles from 3" to 16" (multiples in 10" and 12", which I sometimes want to bake in multiples) ... so I can make a tiny tiered cake for an intimate wedding of 6-8 people ... or I can make a cake literally as tall as I am. I have every set of Wilton nesting wedding cake pans ... except Paisley -- just couldn't get on board with that. I have tiered sets with rounded edges. I have loads of tart pans and springform pans ... bundt pans in different sizes and shapes ... cupcake pans galore.

What I don't have is square pans. I will not bake a square cake for anyone for any price. Hate 'em.

But the 9 sets of china? Like you, MrsPete, I did not part with a saucer.

I only have 7 sets ... and my most recent acquisitions aren't truly full sets: I've stopped buying tea cups. I've planned loads of storage space for them!

• housequester
    7 years ago

Right now I pretty much have the opposite of storage solutions, but I am SO thrilled that I'll have a large spice drawer in my new house. I like to cook and I like spices, and right now they are stashed on risers in a 12" cabinet. I regularly have spice containers raining down upon my counter and whatever is on it.

I also have blind corners (hate them) and all my cookie sheets and a couple of pizza pans lay flat on top off each other, so I struggle to get anything out that isn't on top. So annoying. So, I'm also looking forward to large drawers and two areas of vertical storage.

• practigal
    7 years ago

I would arrange for as many pull out lower cabinets as you can. There does need to be a vertical cabinet for your cookie sheets and such. I have some really deep back upper shelves and I have to be very careful as to what I keep back there because otherwise I'll forget and buy it again.

• DIY2Much2Do
    7 years ago

I love our wall cabinet with door-mounted spice rack, with flour/sugar/rice, etc. in plastic bins.

Also happy with the chef's drawer.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

Three of the best ideas I got from Kitchens:

• Drawers, drawers, more drawers! Much nicer & easier to use than roll out tray shelves or stationary shelves!
    • Extra shelves to allow you to store dishes, etc., one-type deep so there's no moving things around to get to what you need
    • Tray and platter storage over the double ovens, with the platter storage on the bottom, not the top! This gives you better access overall. For me, having trays in drawers would mean leaning down quite a bit, but that's b/c I'm relatively tall. I suspect drawers would work better for short people and above oven(s) would work better for tall people - if you're average height (<5'7" or so), take your pick!
      -- Tray storage in dividers: cookie sheets, cooling racks, roasting pan, roasting rack, etc.
      -- Platter storage (bottom shelf) has long platters and a griddle. these items are usually too "thick" to store in the tray dividers, so this is better storage.
      Access:
      -- Trays...To take out a tray, you only need to grasp one side/corner, so you don't need to access the top. To remove a tray, you only have to grasp the bottom corner so, again, there's no need to access the top.
      -- Platters...by putting them on the bottom shelf, they're much more accessible than on the top shelf.

Drawers!

Shelves:

Tray Storage:

Amy J thanked Buehl
  • Amy J
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anyone have ideas for storing casserole/pyrex dishes? What about lots of platters? Great discussion so far!

• javiwa
    7 years ago

We don't have lots of platters that we use fairly often, but we store our oft-used rectangular casserole/pyrex dishes vertically (a terrific idea posted on GW a while back). We arranged divider slots at different widths to allow us flexibility if needed in the future.

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    7 years ago

Container Store's elfa door rack (drilled into the door not an over-the-door type thing). It sure beats trying to cram all my spices in a cabinet. Plus it accommodates the Costco sized containers and it's mostly at eye level.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Great job Matt but Star Anise is in the wrong place:-)

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Looks like its under Anise not Star :)

• User
    7 years ago

My best storage solution was when I got a pot rack over the island to store pots and pans. They're handy and they don't take up valuable cabinet space.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Omg Matt! Come do mine !

• housequester
    7 years ago

Matt, "color" me impressed!

• johnsoro25
    7 years ago

Matt E- if that is just for your spices, I have to see more of your kitchen. Very cool.

• PRO
    Tidy Living
    7 years ago

mrspete, that is a gorgeous pantry. Matt E, your spice storage solution is impressively satisfying to look at! Great job!

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

This thread is very timely for me. I am placing my kitchen order and looking forward to all my organization. Seeing the storage options for the cabinet above the fridge prompted me not to order dividers because they will be built in and not adjustable. Anything I need can be purchased after market or my husband can make. Right now I appreciate reading about what is working for you. I want to keep my options open. Thanks for letting me peek into your drawers and cabinets.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Here are some from our kitchen:

1. Custom maple drawer flatware insert from OrderlyDrawer.com (I have others for utensils, spices)

2. Custom coffee storage drawer from OrganizeMyDrawer.com

3. Custom lexan storage under oven for baking dishes from OrganizeMyDrawer.com (others for foil/wrap boxes, etc.)

4. Full height corner pantry (doors closed)

5. Full height corner pantry (doors open)

• mushcreek
    7 years ago

Here's a few of mine- drawer within a drawer, baking sheet pull-out disguised as drawers, drawers that incorporate toe kick for added depth, and a roll-out bin on the other side of the peninsula to make use of an otherwise 'dead' corner.

• User
    7 years ago

Mushcreek ... Great ideas! I like the hidden pullout.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

mrspete, that is a gorgeous pantry.

Oh, let me be clear: that's a picture from my inspiration file ... not my current pantry. I didn't mean to give a false impression.

• arialvetica
    7 years ago

This is my appliance shelf in the pantry this space allows me to have quick access to my appliances without having ANY plugged in on my counters.

This is my paper towel hidey hole under the sink. We don't use them that often (95% of the time we use flour sack towels, draped on the dishwasher handle) but sometimes you have something that requires paper towels :)

This is all of my Tupperware. Pretty simple roll out trays, with a BB&B wood divider in the top tray.

I think that's it. Nothing genius, but all make life a little better than my previous kitchen. :)

Amy J thanked arialvetica
  • Amy J
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I find this tupperware storage inspirational! Right now I store all of mine in a broken laundry basket in the corner. Finding a matching lid and bottom is always an adventure.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Amy: pic 1: yep, those knives inconvenient except to small children... Don't want that! Pic 2: Total waste of space.

I do see a lot of good ideas for storage in this thread. Unfortunately there are some places my GC didn't listen to me -- I wanted vertical storage for trays and platters, but this isn't entirely hopeless as the pantry isn't put together yet.

I'm seriously amazed at the many cake-making pans people here have - well, Mrs Pete does it professionally, which counts. I have... none. I could call into service a square or rectangular casserole dish if need be, but actually I'm more apt to make muffins or mini-muffins.

At the moment, I have components from four sets of dishware. I've moved the two that are very piecemeal up to my build, and when I sell the current house down here, I'll donate the piecemeal dishes to the local community center.

I have a half-sheet cookie tray. Several platters. I'd been storing most of this stuff in a drawer in a back bedroom since my current kitchen is vestigial in size. Indeed I am looking forward to upgrading to a real adult-sized food processor! Oh, and I want an Instant Pot!

I do have my mother's old Christmas cookie cutters... the designs are actually sharp and look like what they are supposed to represent, unlike the blob-like ones I see these days in shops like Micheal's or Bed, Bath and Beyond. I don't make cookies often, but I can see that these items are well-designed enough (and they don't take up much space) that I'm not ditching them.

Anyhow, I AM sending a lot of things to be donated or recycled... but most aren't from the kitchen. Other than, eventually and soon, the limited dish sets.

I will need a fair amount of space: I'll be rural, and the supermarkets aren't close. Plus, I'll be putting food by.

• User
    7 years ago

Anglophilia, where did you get the dog food bin? I love that.

• jshore
    7 years ago

MrsPete, may I ask where you found those triangular spice containers?

• Katie
    7 years ago

mushcreek, I love your roll-out bin on the other side of your peninsula. Could you share how it works?

• mushcreek
    7 years ago

It's simply a plywood box on four low casters so it rolls. I put beadboard and trim on the front to match the peninsula, and a matching pull like the ones in the kitchen. The dead corner was created by the dishwasher, so there's no access from the kitchen side. We use it for dog food (in a plastic bin inside).

• beachem
    7 years ago

I second Buehl. Drawers, drawers, drawers. I squeezed in 67 drawers in my kitchen and can't wait to organize. Some cabinets have 6 drawers but customized so each is fully usable.

If you don't have room for a pantry, a dedicated cabinet for food is necessary. However, you do have to plan out the interior. I replaced a 48" w full height pantry cabinet with a 36" one and I've squeezed more in two drawers than I did in the old one which had a pull out wire organizer.

It's not fully organized yet and the drawers are at least half empty with only the bottom one actually full.

Broom closet. I built this one in only 12" of space and it's still not full or organized yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to squeeze my shredder in there.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

I'm seriously amazed at the many cake-making pans people here have - well, Mrs Pete does it professionally, which counts.

And I've been making wedding cakes since before I could drive, so I've been collecting these pans a long time.

MrsPete, may I ask where you found those triangular spice containers?

Mine are the Spice Care by Table Ware system ... but they quit making it. Joseph Joseph makes a very similar product, though I think theirs is either black or white instead of clear plastic and stainless steel like mine. I absolutely love mine and wish I could buy more containers (I have enough for all the spices i use, but my husband makes homemade rubs, etc. for his BBQ, and if I had more containers, those would be easier to store; I occasionally check ebay, but I don't expect to "win" that game.

I second Buehl. Drawers, drawers, drawers. I squeezed in 67 drawers in my kitchen and can't wait to organize

I'm going to have 14 drawers (14 individual drawers, not stacks). How can you possibly have 67? How big is your kitchen?

• MaryBocaTX
    3 years ago

I know it’s been a while, but I just stumbled upon this thread. I’m hoping some of you are still active ”Houzzers”...

Hi @beachem -

Like @mrspete, ^^^ I am also dying to see pics of your megamulti-drawer kitchen! Would you mind posting a few? We are in the middle of a full-gut kitchen renovation and I thought I was planning to have a lot of drawers...but yours must be absolutely spectacular!

And @Matt E. -

Please forgive what might be an incredibly stupid question...but do you buy your spices, and then open them, and transfer the contents to your color-coded jars? And if so, don’t you always have a small amount left in the custom jar before adding the newly purchased amount...is that an issue? Also, did those jars come with the plastic holed/shaker thingy for under the lid (where appropriate), or are they the exact right size for you to have transferred those as well?

Its an ingenious solution, and I’m fascinated by your creativity!

Thanks to everyone who posted; even three years later these ideas are helping others!

Mary

• Marci
    3 years ago

Pardon the mess from the contractors on the counter. This is my favorite. I have a ridiculous about of spices, and I had 6” deep shelves installed under a breakfast counter to store them. I’ve already banged my head on hard quartz a couple times, but I’ll get used to that. I also have a magnetic strip for my knives over my sink that I love, and a holder for sponges and soap on the inside door of my base cabinets, nothing fancy but it’s useful.

• Matt E.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@MaryBocaTX When I first did this, I bought 60 empty spice jars from Penzey's — 48 of their 1/2 cup A jars and 12 of their 1 cup C jars (which fit the bigger holes on the right and are used for the spices we got through a lot of) and then filled them individually with spices purchased in bulk (mostly in bags) also from Penzey's. This did mean that I had a box with a bunch of overflow spices I kept in our storage room in the basement — I'd use the extra spices there to refill the individual spice jars when they got low.

You can buy the empty spice jars here:

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/empty-jars/c-24/p-1616/pd-s

However, conveniently the 1/2 cup A jars are the same ones you get when you order individual spices in 1/2 cup jars from Penzey's, so when I recently replaced a bunch of aging spices that were losing a bit of potency, this time I just ordered them in the 1/2 cup jars to start and swapped out the jars entirely — this is definitely easier than filling empty jars. And this also means that the spices come with the correct shaker top.

So, if I were to do this from scratch, I'd settle on the 1/2 cup jar size from Penzey's as being your base jar size, order all the spices you want from them in that size and just put colored labels on top of those already full jars, And then I'd order a handful of empty jars for spices that you already have or are getting from other sources.

• MaryBocaTX
    3 years ago

That is so helpful - thank you so much @Matt E.!

• kculbers
    3 years ago

I love my pull out drawers (Plain & Fancy cabinets made in 🇺🇸 America)❣️

• beachem
    3 years ago

Hi Mary I will post a few pictures later when I get to my house. We’ve been staying at in laws.

For spices, I use a lot so I buy in bulk from Winco or Penzeys or wholesale restaurant suppliers. I store my overflow in theses glass containers from the dollar tree.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Use real drawers, not pull out shelves behind a door.

• MaryBocaTX
    3 years ago

Thank you @beachem - I can’t wait to see your amazing space!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

All the talk about spices reminded me of a past discussion where it came out that most bottled spices lose their integrity after 6 months or less...after i threw away so many spices i began to look for recipes that required less spices and more fresh ingredients...herbs..etc...even planted a lot of herbs in my garden...some of which grow like weeds ...are always there to harvest...and are pretty enough to make a pretty ground cover and come up every year on their own....they also freeze well for soup stock....i now have a very limited amount of healthier specialty spices in tiny jars..and have learned that simpler dishes are my fave