SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

anyone have a mid-Atlantic 'George L Taber'? Know of a look-alike?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This definition of mid-Atlantic definitely excludes Norfolk and Williamsburg, VA!

I think I've seen this classic southern azalea in Norfolk. I've tried the variety but they've either frozen or had some other problem bedevil them. I ask because years ago I saw them being sold at a NoVA plant show...I believe by the local Azalea society chapter! Debating about trying one more time in a more sheltered spot.

(Don't know how often Dave in Nova checks out this forum. We'll see. Know he loves BLEs generally, and knows about the southern ones being grown in the DC area, but not sure of his passion for azaleas.)

On a side note, there's a rhododendron cultivar that looks surprisingly similar. Ron showed it to me in perhaps 2014 and I spotted my photograph a year later and asked about it, when I recognized the similarity again. We weren't able to track it down with 100% certainty but it might have been 'Max Roseum' X 'Skipper' (pink form). I now have cuttings of both (pink form) and (yellow form) from this grex, so I'll find out in a few years if I got the right one.

BTW, reviewing my own posts, you might see I mention one, planted before the 2nd polar vortex. It had insanely knotted roots and after ripping them apart, the plant suffered lack of vigor all summer, then polar vortex 2 finished it off. Another died in a french drain failure than also killed an english holly. A third was a tiny, super cheap ebay plant that failed to become established LOL. Maybe I'm just not meant to grow this one!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus