SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Favorite garden photos from last year

Spring is trying to come here in Colorado, but winter will probably come back. Some of you in the souther areas are seeing spring for real. The rest of us are still dreaming of last year and how the garden will change this year. Let's see some of your favorite garden pics from last year.

lets see yours

Comments (78)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    7 years ago

You can surely tell that those of us with cold weather or still a lot of snow in my case. Spring can't come soon enough!

sunnywood thank you for this thread and the pics of your stunning gardens. They are truly wondrous!

Every garden shown here is so beautiful, from large to smaller and each one in between. What a treat to get a glimpse of your gardens!

Jo I am really happy you got more than a couple of seconds here and there to pop in!

Tree roots are an issue for me too in this area. This is a Butternut and there is a huge Sugar Maple to the left just out of view.

Hopefully the new bed in the background will fill in better since this will be its 3rd year. I really need to organize my pics.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

these pics are great..I'm going to bookmark this thread..

• Related Discussions

Double Waterfall - Photo from this year and last to follow

Q

Comments (5)
    This was from last year. Not as many blooms, but substantially smaller in size. Interesting? Curious about one thing? If anyone has any ideas or info. If you look at the small bud at the back on right side and the lower on right side. These are not complete and open quite loosely. Has anyone had this happen to them and any ideas as to cause. Rick
    ...See More

How do I move my rooted cuttings from last year into the garden?

Q

Comments (1)
    You will have to harden them off and get them used to the UV light. That takes at least a week. If the weather is fine set them outside in a shady place. The north side of your house is fine. The next day move them to a place with dappled shade--like under a tree or where they have morning sun and are shaded the rest of the day. Every day move them a little more into the sun until they are in the sun all day. Then you can plant them
    ...See More

Post your favorite garden pictures from last summer

Q

Comments (42)
    Gorgeous gardens and plants all. Sunnywood: your beds are so neat and hostas are beautiful. Nelson and tj: dahlias are amazing. Irawon: I especially love your mini bed. I'm getting more into minis as I am running out of space. They are so cute. Here are a few of my favorite pics from 2015 Here are many of my minis. Stepping stone path through the hosta. Getting really crowded. I did some moving and thinning out at the end of the season. Blues look really blue in this shady area. Really missing my garden. Can't wait for spring!
    ...See More

Favorite Garden Photo from last season

Q

Comments (43)
    OMG , I was reviewing these posts ( as I do time and again ) and read this from Lilykate " a younger and more energetic me on the inside keeps telling the older worn out person on the outside to keep planting and expanding!" I can so relate to this statement ! I do the same thing . We own 2 acres and I am slowly working my way eastward on the property with daylilies much to the chagrin of my husband who told me this summer ." you see that bed you just dug and planted? it is your last one ! " Ha , he really should know me better than that after 30 plus years together . HA HA HA HA
    ...See More
  • josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Jaw-dropping, gorgeous gardens, Laurie!!! (The patient has retired fairly early so I've got some spare time. Going to email now...)

We've got more snow till Sunday so everything that was bare is now snow covered and it is cold brrr...-16 tonight, -12/-11 for Saturday and Sunday.

Bring on more pics, folks! :D

• mbug_gw
    7 years ago

Jo....that is Bartzella, but not Copper Kettle. I have a number of peonies in my front yard .... lots of sun. I'll get back to you with the name. Keep them coming everyone!

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Jo, someone's designing your garden, even if unconsciously. I stared at several of your pics for a while.

Laurie, I'm guessing here, but is that Teaspon in front of Winter Snow in front of a Goatsbeard? Please correct any errors!

7 years ago

Kathy, yes Teaspoon, yes Winter Snow. The plant behind is Persicaria polymorpha and it is a favorite of mine. It grows 6' x 6' from a tight clump and is never invasive unlike some Persicarias. Here it blooms from May on and by Autumn has dark pink seed pods which I leave on. The odd seedling that starts is most welcomed. (I am a fan of Goatsbeard too.)

7 years ago

anyone else have Jack in the pulpit?..don't know the hosta behind it..have several from the previous owners that are unidentified..

• smorz
    7 years ago

I had wild Jack in the pulpit at my old house... I always looked forward to seeing it sprout :)

Loving all the awesome pictures... and beautiful gardens and landscapes.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nicholsworth, I have jack in a pulpit growing wild all over my woods. I transplant them often into my hosta gardens, When they go to seed they come up all over the place.

• mbug_gw
    7 years ago

I played golf yesterday in short sleeves, now an inch of snow and dropping to 17 degrees tonight......so I found a couple more

Entrance to my back yard viewed from the side

Front side yard getting lots of sun....Gold Standard, Touch of Class, So Sweet, Lilies and Peonies not in bloom yet

Patio side bed

7 years ago

sunnywood..the "Jacks" were here when I came in 2005..love them..those hostas must be some that were here..I kept what was here but moved most of them (didn't like their arrangements)..

mbug..you're so tidy!..you need to help me haha..love the hydrangea with the hostas..tuff stuff?..twist and shout?..

7 years ago

nicholsworth I have them too. Marvelous plant!

The birds deposit the seeds and when they start in the garden I gather the seed from those and grow them.

7 years ago

peren..yours must be GIANT Jack in the pulpits lol..a lot bigger than mine..aren't they fun..love the name..

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My wife found a pic of one the jack in a pulpit. Many 0f them are much bigger. Also found a few more views of the garden.

All of your gardens are beautiful. Keep the pictures coming. I may make to spring.

7 years ago

sunnywood..your Jack is bigger than mine too!..but they're beautiful at ANY size..do you have hostas at both homes?

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Those Jacks are beautiful! A little expensive to buy here, so you guys are lucky when they are self seeding! Anybody tried them in a pot?

Wonderful garden pictures! The longing for spring is getting deeper and deeper...

Jo, that hosta tour would be very nice. A really good plan! Should you ever decide to come to Germany, I would be glad to invite you to my garden :-)

And that quote about a garden in motion is so true, especially with all those potted plants. I move those in the pots every year, the smaller ones at least...

Now that I'm looking through last year's pictures I'm amazed how much life there is in that small garden...getting a little crowded...

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

sorry, have to go on a bit :-)

I planted Empress Wu into a bed in fall and yesterday I ordered some Rodgersia to plant near the fence to add some height and the pots will move more to the front and the bed will get bigger:-)

Thanks for your patience!

I hope we will all have a wonderful garden year and that the strange weather conditions will not harm our beauties.

There was a Tornado this week in the middle of Germany, near Würzburg. A small one, but it brought a lot of damage to a small town, more than 60 houses destroyed...Imagine that, a tornado in Germany! And there are still people who think that there is no climate change. We gardeners know better...

Karin

sunnywood4bChazyNY thanked Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Karin..love what you said..after looking at pics "I'm amazed how much life there is in that small garden" (we could see it!)..makes me want to take pics of everything growing in my garden and have a greater appreciation for it : )

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Nicholsworth, thank you for your kind words! I'm deeply in love with nature and since I was a child my eyes are always drawn to the beauty in the small things.

I take a lot of pics during summer...looking at them in winter brings back a little of the joy...

Now the sun is coming out and I will spend some hours with cutting and digging...my back will ache, but it will lift the spirit :-)

7 years ago

Mbug, that first pic in the last set you posted - what is that green beauty to the right?

Bill, just keep them coming, and everyone else too! Maybe your wife will find some more pics ;-)

Karin, I love your garden - love all the details. Love the little plants in that broken pot and everything else. This thread just keeps on giving!! I am bookmarking it too as I get so much pleasure from these pictures.

Kathy, you sure know how to make an old gal feel good! Thank you for the encouraging words. :)

7 years ago

Thank you Jo!

I agree with Kathy, you do have a great sense of design. It is abundantly evident in your pics. Brilliant plant combos. I love it all but the Peony with the Japanese Maple is sublime!

I think all of us battle the collector versus the designer in us.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    7 years ago

Oooh! Lots of beautiful gardens!

New section of mine -

• mctavish9
    7 years ago

It's great looking at the beautiful gardens while it's AGAIN snowing outside. I can't believe this weather. It is especially depressing after last years wonderful, early spring.

I'm showing a different part of my garden than usual. This is the West, hot, side that gets sun until after nine o'clock. Most of my hostas in this area do very well though I have moved a few over the years. This part of my garden is what I am most looking forward to this year.

In 2015 we had to replace the vinyl liner and cedar deck around the pool. They had lasted over 20 years so no complaint about that. We do all the work ourselves on a shoestring so it was questionable how much would actually get done.

My husband badly needed both knees replaced at that point but in spite of that he accomplished a lot and got about half the deck done including places to sit and get in and out of the water. It was about half done by the end of 2015.

He had the first knee done in early Feb. 2016. Within a couple months he continued on. Fortunately we were able to afford to buy new wood rather than plane and reuse some of the old wood which is what he was doing in 2015. That made everything go much faster.

I am happy to say that we are almost entirely done. Projects seem to stretch out from years to decades around here. I think he did a great job. Thankfully we have a little ATV with a trailer since all materials had to be brought down 3 stories. The driveway is on the level of the balcony in the first picture.

June 2016 - The light wood is the part that was done in 2015. The rest will bleach to that color too. We don't treat our wood because we know we won't have time to fuss with it and fortunately we prefer the natural, grey look.

Late July 2016. The shade structure has been built at the far end. I need to find some lasting thatch like material for the top. Meanwhile we used some old bamboo blinds from behind the garage.

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Your husband really did a great job and I can understand why you are looking forward to sit there again. I love those terraces!

• mbug_gw
    7 years ago

Jo....The big green you refer to is Cup of Grace, from Halcyon. Listed as a medium upright, but seems to be outgrowing that designation. Others in picture are Deep Blue Sea, Stained Glass, and your namesake Queen Josephine. Across the walkway you can see First Frost and Rubies and Ruffles.

Every time I come back to this thread I get blown away once again. Hope there is more to come!

7 years ago

Thank you, Mbug! I think I need a Cup of Grace...going on a want list! You sure keep a beautiful garden.

McTavish, your heavenly views seem endless! A gorgeous terraced garden including pool and lots of area for languishing on a hot summer day. Life doesn't get better than that! Your husband is very talented. It is amazing how he bounced back so quickly after knee surgery and accomplished so much work. Can't keep a good man down, eh? I love the aged look of a wooden deck. You truly do have a magnificent property.

• timhensley
    7 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Tim where are your pics?

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Jo,

so sorry to see those snow pictures at this time of the year...the temperatures are rising here from day to day and I'm more than happy about it, not only because of the hostas. It's just that we all need sun on the face and the good feeling of being outside...But we had a very late frost last year mid of April which damaged a lot of plants and they had crumpled leaves and brown spots and didn't thrive as well as they should. I hope this will not happen again this year.

Just to keep this going...

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

7 years ago

Really enjoyed these additional photos, Karin!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

What beautiful gardens everyone! I've looked over this thread a few times now. I'm seeing the value in having some brown space to rest the eyes, which I find difficult to do. As a result my gardens can be very busy looking, ....but I have no restraint, lol.

Next season I'll try to get more big pictures, but I found a couple pics of my west side garden. Of course, it's all a work in progress.

Looking down from my deck

Looking up the hillside

7 years ago

sandyslopes..I didn't know Utah could be this lush!..that's quite the slope..your creative user name is perfect..

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

sandyslopes, I like your busy garden! Not much brown left...

I found an interesting solution for gardens like ours...called skypot...

Planters with a drainage system inside, not cheap, but might look good with

longleafed hostas...

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

nicholsworth55, my whole yard, except a little across the back, is on a slope with sandy soil. Who needs to go to a gym when I've got my own version of a stair stepper, free weights, and balancing to work my core muscles. :-) Thanks for the lush comment. That's what I like!

Karin if I see brown I have this compulsion to plant something there. I'm lucky to have any walkways. Skypots! Another way to squeeze in more plants. Sounds good to me.

7 years ago

sandyslopes..another reason to love gardening..good exercise!..my Dr wrote in my chart that I spend hours working in my garden..

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

As usual the garden pictures are spectacular and overwhelming to even try to compliment each and everyone of you. This group has such a special place in my heart and to see all these beautiful works of art is unbelievable. Some I have started on this hosta garden journey and some of the older ones that have inspired me to dig up more ground. The newer ones that have the excitements of seeing them grow bigger and bigger each year until the point of some of us wondering where the heck and what the heck we will do with the overcrowding . This will be my year to do some splitting and get someone else hooked to our group. I am so looking forward to get out into the yard this year .My disc in my lower back are giving me trouble so adding on is not in the cards anymore so I will be more then satisfied at what I already have to care for and enjoy.

A couple of views I am anxiously awaiting once the snow is finally off the yard

Happy first day of spring!

7 years ago

What beautiful pictures, Faye!!

Happy Spring to you and to everyone else here!!!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    7 years ago

(Sorry in advance as I did post these same pics in 2016)

Our LIBERTY:

Our Junes:

• indymom76
    7 years ago

Everyone's gardens are simply gorgeous! I didn't take any photos last year-I was in a garden funk. I will work on mine this year and endeavor to make my gardens as fine as all of yours!!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    7 years ago

Great gardens everyone. I would post a few but get frustrated any time I return here. Is it possible to post from Photobucket?

I'll try some from my C drive. Maybe I'm smarter now.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Harryshoe, I store all of my garden pics on a iPad in an app called photo manager pro. In order to post them I have to move them into photos. I don't know if this helps.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

I frequently post pics from Dropbox, as well as from my computer or phone. I don't know why Photobucket wouldn't work...

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    7 years ago

I cannot figure out how to post from photobucket either, none of the links work, its odd.

On another not totally unrelated thing, does anyone know an easy way to transfer photos from an android tablet to a PC, I know that I can download them from photobucket when I have put them there from the tablet but is there an easier way? Thanks

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Harry and mountainy man, I have some photos in photobucket. I started keeping them there a few years ago. I haven't added anything to it in the last couple of years. You can try going to a picture you want to post and on the right side it says "share this photo." Click on IMG and it will say "copied." Then paste it to your post. It will not post as a photo, but when someone clicks on it, the picture will appear. Good luck!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

harryshoe, it's nice to see you here again.

I used to use photobucket before GW became Houzz, but it won't work for me any more to do it that way.

The way I do it now is to click on the Houzz Photo icon. Then I go to my photos on my laptop and resize the screen to fill only the left side of my screen. That way I can highlight the photo I want and just drag it over to the Houzz Photo screen.

It takes a few seconds to show up and then I hit "insert." That gets it there. I can still write and add more photos (up to 10) until I submit the whole post.

I hope you can figure out what works for you and that you will join us once again!

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Denis, I use a USB cord/cable or a memory card and thanks to Saija I became a great friend of Google Drive and Google photos. With that I can see my photos and files on all my devices. I download them now directly from the camera and the pictures are automatically reduced to a nice size I can use in the forum.

Karin

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

Harryshoe- I hope you can find a way to post.... I always used to enjoy your beautiful garden photos.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    7 years ago

Thanks Karin, that worked a dream and so easy, have some flowers!

• billgoff307
    7 years ago

Hosta border photo taken June 3, 2016. Pittsburgh, PA.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals