SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nacowan5

Curious how long it takes to get fruit from a pineapple plant.

Nicholas C.
7 years ago

Back in November I was clearing some brush from the back part of my house which I bought a few years ago and on the side of the property I found a large plant that was later identified as a pineapple plant. I have no idea how it got there or how long it had been there.

Recently while outside in mid - late February I noticed it was starting to produce a crown (I hope this is the correct term). Here is a picture from February 22ed.

I've done a bit of research on the plants and have found a lot of information on them including that it take about 24 months for them to mature which I know this one has been here at least that long. However I couldn't find specific information on how long it takes to go from this stage of flowering to fruit and then to ripen. Can someone please give me a general idea as to how long this takes?

Also, I've read that critters like opossums will steal the fruit as it becomes more ripe. Is there a reliable way to protect it from these animals while also not damaging the plant? The plant is currently about 4 feet in diameter.

Comments (58)