SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

Need Help Doing My Pre-Architect Homework :-)

One Devoted Dame
7 years ago

Okay, so I currently have, in my Amazon cart, the following books:

A Field Guide to American Houses

Patterns of Home

Get Your House Right

Other suggestions or substitutions are welcome. I am trying to keep the book list relatively short, since the last thing I want to do is wack my husband over the head with a whole bag of books, lol. This is *my* nerd area; he has his own. :-)

I am also nearly done with my Needs/Wants/Nice-to-Haves List, and requested that my husband make a list, too. Once we integrate our individual lists into one, as well as identify the architectural style(s) we both like, is there anything else we should do, to prepare for interviews?

Finding a sole practitioner is a top priority. How flexible can I expect meetings/consultations (especially the first one) to be? Is it common to meet in a client's home? Lunch at Chick-fil-A?

We discussed an architect's budget of $20,000 in Central Texas (looks like we'll stay here!). If anyone believes this is far too low, please let me know. Ideally, we would like to take advantage of full services, from conception to completion (I totally typed "conception to delivery" there, lol).

We do not have property yet, however, I was advised that in our situation, seeking an architect prior to land acquisition was the wisest move.

Thank you! <3

Comments (21)