SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Do Aechmea Fasciata blooms change colors with age

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was in a nursery the other day and they had a huge table full of Aechmea fasciata bromeliads, also called Urn or Silver Vase. Now I already have a bunch of these, but not once have they ever bloomed for me. Yeah, I have 6 or 8 plants - all pups and pups-of-pups from one mother- but none of them has ever bloomed for me. Crazy, right? So I have no experience with their blooms. (They all grow in outside pots and if there is a tip for getting them to bloom for the first time, outside, I'd love to know. I can't bag them with an apple slice out there.)

So back to this huge nursery table of A. Fasciata. Almost all of them were just coming into bloom. Each had a palest pink flower just nosing up out of the urn.. except for one plant at the far end of the table. It had a dark pink flower. It was among some others that had all clearly overstayed their welcome in their current peat-filled plastic pots and were laden with pups, twisting and turning their way out. I wondered if it was a different cultivar, or just an older bloom? I know there are many different cultivars of A. Fasciata. But I don't know if the flowers darken with age. Since mine have never bloomed, I don't have any experience. My gut says they were all the same and the one at the end was just plain old.

Anyone ever noticed if the blooms change colors over time?

Wish I had taken a few photos.

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (22)

Sponsored