SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchelltrashmail

Vine Wilt

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last year I rebuilt my garden after about an 8 year hiatus. I planted honey dew, cantaloupe, water mellon, cukes, and zucchini all on trellises. For the new beds, I used wood and brought in mostly new dirt, a mixture of leaf mulch and "garden blend" soil. A month into the garden, plants were growing great! The vines reached the top of the 8' trellis, I had fruit setting, vines were growing a foot a day it seemed like. Then one hot day when I checked on the garden, the cantaloupe was wilting. I thought nothing of it, as plants are supposed to wilt to conserve moisture. The plant did not perk back up. The wilt started at the end of the vine and worked back toward the roots. In a day I could tell it wasn't coming back. Then the honey dew, followed by the water mellon. Devastation. The cukes and zukes were planted about 15 feet away and continued to do fine. About a week later, the plants suffered the same fate. Talk about crushed enthusiasm. So I'm looking to see what might be the cause and try to prevent that this year. I did not see any bugs in the dirt or holes in the leaves or stem.

I did not previously see this issue when I had a garden in the same location in past years. I've looked at SBV and am hoping that it's something else that is easier to deal with since I did not see any bugs.

Would love some advice.

Thomas

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH