SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saraheesmith

Soft-Lite Quality and Selection

saraheesmith
7 years ago

Looking for replacement windows installed and have decided to go with Soft-Life. Now just trying to pick which window to go with. We have a 1955 house with original single pane windows and storm windows (with the screens that roll up from inside the storm window - of which almost all are broken). They are very drafty windows so looking forward to energy savings when updated. Being replaced are 13 double hung windows and 1 picture window.

http://www.soft-lite.com/windows/styleDoublehung.asp

Is this the correct order of soft-lite windows in terms of quality (highest to lowest)?:

Elements

Imperial LS

Pro

Classic

Bainbridge

Barrington

The quotes I received are as follows:

Pro - $9,524

Classic- $8,625

Barrington - $6,093

We really can't afford anything higher than that and even the Classic and Pro prices are a little out of our price range. However, we plan to stay in this home a long time and want something of quality and that is going to last. So if we have to wait a little while longer, I am willing to do that. If we go with the Barrington, we can replace in the next month or two.

What are the main differences between these three windows and how much value is one over the other going to provide me? I hate to admit, I really don't know or understand the U-Factor and other factors when comparing windows.

Ultimately, I want to know if the Barrington is a good window or if there is any compelling reason to go a step or two higher in windows for the price difference.

Thank you!

Sarah

Comments (97)

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are my choices of dealers within 25 miles. The only two dealers that have outstanding reviews are zen and ronafa, so that is where my two quotes come from. The Ronafa quote is lower and they were low pressure, down to earth and recommended by a co-worker. I just looked and Zen offers a better warranty on workmanship. While this location itself has great reviews, I've heard some negative stuff about Zen.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The price of the Imperial LS is only $195 more total. I thought it was going to be much more... Does that seem right?

• Related Discussions

New 'Soft Lite' polycarbonate

Q

Comments (4)
    The Lexan corrugated softlite does have 85% light transmission with 100% diffusion. It is also available in 8mm twinwall (100% light diffusion with 79% light transmission) and 16mm triplewall (100% light diffusion and 72% light transmssion). You ask if the 85% light penetration will produce the soft appearance of diffused light. They really don't have anything to do with each other. The 100% light diffusion is the number you should be interested in for the appearance you desire. The sheets do not look like an opaque white sheet does. The best comparison I have come up with is the white sheet is opaque, the opal color sheets are like looking through whole milk and the softlite sheets are like looking through skim milk. Not a perfect definition, but it's the best I have been able to come up with. The diffused light is great for your plants. I would definitely consider using this on your white frame. I think it will complement it nicely. Tammy
    ...See More

Looking for good quality soft sheets

Q

Comments (13)
    Sheets are a problem these days because they are no longer manufactured in the US, so the quality control and consistency within a brand that we were used to in the old days is gone. That said, I have found that Costco's best Kirkland sheets are consistently soft and smooth. Unfortunately, I have found that other brands can vary, from year to year and even from color to color at the same store! Their fabric comes from such a variety of factories and the quality control is less than stellar.
    ...See More

Choosing Window Quotes - Polaris vs SoftLight

Q

Comments (7)
    One last update: Informed the installer who had offered the Bainbridge that I was going with someone else; he said he could offer a better price on Soft-Lite Classics. Quote says: SoftLite Classic, Glass=Low e plus Argon, Foam in Sash, Super Spacer. Cost = $10,900. So, I have the same question as before, is this a better deal than the Ultrawelds mentioned in my original post? I understand the Ultraweld is a better window overall. Is this new quote a better bang for my buck? Also, how is the Classic different than the Bainbridge? I haven't actually seen one of these windows.
    ...See More

Okna 400 windows v. Soft-Lite Pro

Q

Comments (65)
    My advice to everyone I talk to is that they should purchase the best window that they can which fits into their budget. The only caveat to that, is the folks that do not have a realistic budget to begin with, but that is not a problem here. Ultimately, you are spending $5k give or take. A difference of a few hundred dollars is going to be very small if not irrelevant in the grand scheme when you take into consideration the size of the purchase and the fact that you have to live with these windows for the next X number of years. If you have the windows for 20 yrs, that is a difference $2 and change per month, or $32 per yr. When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem to make much sense to base this choice on price. My advice: Pick the window that you like better from the installation company that you like better. Easy as that. You won't go wrong either way on product (installer is another matter, but we can't really offer much on that without knowing the companies in question). Easy enough ;)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pricing will vary by dealer, so if that is from a different dealer, it is definitely possible. If its the same guy, then yes, very weird.

If this company is established and reputable, I'd definitely recommend going that route based on the better product.

saraheesmith thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    7 years ago

+1. Go with the Imperial LS.

saraheesmith thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

Very common, that's why I recommended more bids. I think you we have a clear winner.

saraheesmith thanked toddinmn
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree, for that small increase it is worth it!

Now I am worried about the warranty though. I like the local dealer since I met him and he already came out and measured, so no hidden costs. However, their warranty isn't as comprehensive and they mostly install Barrington's. I haven't met the Zen people, but they have been very responsive and have excellent reviews on Angie's List. Zen tends to get a bad rap sometimes, but their warranty seems like the best! I've had friends use both dealers and both come recommended. However, Zen is more expensive and their top window is the Pro -they don't carry the Imperial LS.

So.....Here are my final options for 13 double hung windows and 1 picture window:

Local Dealer - 2 year workmanship guarantee and soft-life lifetime warranty, more experienced installing Barringtons over the others, 5% off for Angie's List members included (not included, 1.5% cash back for paying on my credit card):

Barrington: $6,093

Pro: $8,214

Imperial LS: $8,399

Local Zen Windows Dealer - lifetime warranty on parts and labor including glass breakage, great reviews on all three types of windows installed, $40 off per window for Angie's List members included (not included 2% discount for paying cash or check):

Barrington (Karma): $6,510

Classic (Nirvana): $7,140

Pro (triple pane) (Lotus) - $7,840

What would you do?? ?

• PRO
    7 years ago

How long has your local guy been in business? Good reviews on BBB etc? While I agree with the sentiments above that the 2 years on workmanship is nothing to brag about, the warranty is only as good as the company offering it. I won't speak disparagingly about Zen, but I know that they have not been around for that long in most markets, and many in the industry wonder about the sustainability of their business model over the long term. They do seem to be fair and honest though (as a general rule) on the flip side which is not always easy to find in this industry.

Ultimately, if neither installer is a slam dunk, you are probably better off going for the superior product/price, which in this case is the Imperial LS.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Local Dealer has 25 years in the business and all A's on Angie's List out of 7 window reviews and 6 door reviews dating back to February 2015.

Zen has 71 window reviews with all A's, 1 B and 1 C dating back to July 2013. Plus another 6 A's on doors.

I love the idea of a life-time transferable warranty because that means I will never need to buy windows again. We plan to stay in the home forever. But, you make a good point, the warranty does not matter if the company is not around.

The Pro price is actually better at Zen WITH a triple pane, but apparently the Imperial is a better window from the local dealer. I am so torn!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

I'd go with Jeff Bob or your local. His Pro pricing is out of whack and I don't understand why they would not try to sell the LS or let it sell itself. I do not trust Zen , there utube videos come off a little greasy, but otherwise no personal experience. I'd talk with your local guy about the warranty , perhaps they could extend it. A good 2 year warranty is better than a bad lifetime one. Ifyou would have chosen Zen your window would have been installed last week!

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No go on Jeff Bobb. Out of that list, there no other reputable dealers that I would trust based on reviews or lack thereof.

• PRO
    7 years ago

25 yrs, good reviews, and the better window. Take the LS. The product is warrantied by the manufacturer either way, and the a Lifetime workmanship warranty from a company in business for 3-4 years doesn't mean all that much. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I think something like 80% of all contracting businesses fail in the first 5 or so years. Then 10 years is another big benchmark... We all have to start somewhere, but again, give me 25 years and the better product in this case... As Todd suggested, you could always ask him to run that warranty out longer to seal the deal for you.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    7 years ago

Jeff Bobb, two first names now thats just funny. I would stear clear of Zen, Even though they have a super unique business model I doubt its sustainable, they just started franchising within the last 4-5 years and most of there franchisors go at it part time and work from home. Obviously someone who is intrenched in the window business is going to do a better job than someone who is halfway in it.

saraheesmith thanked Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sounds like the local dealer with the LS is the clear winner. Thank you for the good perspectives and feedback!

What, if anything, do I need to know about options/extras/glass/gas etc. for the LS window? Or can I order it just as is?

• User
    7 years ago

Im quite sure Zen windows does'nt even offer the Imperial ls.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

windowsforall - no they do not - that is why there is no quote. The comparison was basically the Pro windows with triple panes from Zen or the Imperial LS from my local dealer.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Does the Imperial LS have a super spacer as standard? I know the Pro does but I don't see "Super Spacer" on the LS brochure.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

I didn't catch the triple upgrade in the Zen quote. The Pro would have a 0.21 u value vs. 0.28 for the LS that is a 35% better U value for $600 less. The air infiltration is 0.06 vs 0.02 these numbers are close and only apply in a test with a simulated 25 mph wind. The LS is better built but the Pro is more than stout enough. I'm a little torn what to recommend , still leaning towards the local guy but I am not familiar with either. I will think on this a little more.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I appreciate your input and would love to hear your thoughts after thinking on it. I am torn as well. I don't know windows enough to say one is worth $600 more and vice versa. I also don't know about the extras/options on the LS. It appears the LS does not have a super spacer standard and that seems odd for a "top tier" window with a higher price tag. Maybe I am missing something altogether.

My other thought is that if the workmanship warranty with my local dealer is only 2 years, once that is up, all I have is the Soft-Lite Manufacture's warranty. Zen offers a comprehensive warranty, including glass breakage. If they go out of business, all I have left is the Soft-Lite manufacture's warranty - after two years, aren't these warranties essentially equal? And that is ASSUMING Zen goes out of business. If they don't, I have a much better warranty. Is my thinking here wrong?

• User
    7 years ago

$600 more for the Ls, i would jump on it. Thats a rather small number for something you are going to have for a while.

saraheesmith thanked User
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

Zen quote will have will have $40 per window and 2% discount from your quote? Did Zen come out an d measure or was that a online or phone quote?

The reason the LS does not have the upgrades is because it is there 2nd from top window behind the Element, same window pretty much But is still the better window. The glass breakage is nice and cost about $30 per window. The colder you're climate the more the triple pane will make sense.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Only additional % off will be the 2% for paying cash at Zen. No measurement, but windows are standard size and they saw a picture of the picture window.

So on top of paying $8,400 for the LS windows, I need to pay what I think will be an additional $230 for the super spacers added on the LS's? That seems like it is getting really high. That then makes the difference between the LS and Pro windows $830 dollars.

My climate is Central PA. Do I need triple pane? If so, I think that leans me more toward the Pro line and therefore Zen.

I also don't see paying extra for glass breakage from the local dealer when it comes standard through Zen. So I will either have it covered through Zen or not get it.

I feel like I am so close to a decision, I just want to make the right one!

• User
    7 years ago

Dont let the temptation of a lower price lure you into the lesser quality window.

go with the Ls, its not that much more.

saraheesmith thanked User
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can get on board with the LS. I trust the Pro's here plus all my research combined clearly show it is the better window.

With that decision behind me, does anyone have input on the super spacers or options for the LS? I hate to spend more, but want what is the best, within reason.

• PRO
    7 years ago

All the warm edge spacers are pretty good. Unless you are in a critical area where condensation is an issue, I would focus more on the net U-Factor. There are some climates where the edge of glass temperature rating will be a "bit" better with a truly non-metallic spacer. You can compare the CR ratings of both windows and see which unit will give you the slight edge in condensation formation, but most of them are pretty close.

If anything, there are probably just as many complaints about the super spacer with the foam not being a significant enough hold on the grids.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

I would imagine it would run about $1000 to upgrade the LS to triple pane?

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can't afford to do that. Is the basic LS window sufficient without any changes, additions or extras?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

I would say it is, tough decision to make.

When in doubt go with you're gut?

Either window will be excellent IMO as long as they are installed correctly.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Windows on Washington... with that logic, the Pro with triple pane for $600 less is the best option.

Pro triple pane U=.18 S=.26 V=.42 C=73

LS standard U=.27 S=.28 V=.51 C=57

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

I think it would be more like .21 vs .28 for double hung.

• PRO
    7 years ago

From an overall efficiency standpoint, I think the LS (even with the tighter AI number) will be hard pressed to make up the delta in U-Factor. Its a tough choice because the LS is a better window on many other levels. Feels like The Bachelor rose ceremony for windows (for the record...I do not watch the show but have seen the snippets of that part). That being said, you can't go wrong with either. Two great choices.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha! Great comment and really good analogy! I don't watch either, but have come to understand it usually doesn't work out most of the time. Hopefully me and my new windows are one of the relationships that last a very long time! :)

Thank you ALL for the wonderful feedback and knowledge! I started off knowing nothing and now I feel like I know too much! I will make a decision this weekend and report back! I am glad to hear I can't go wrong either way and am so glad I asked for help. I think I am getting a much better window than the original Barrington!

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We went with the Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows from the local dealer. 14 windows (1 picture and 13 double hung) for the total price with discounts of $8,273. Installation early May.

They would not extend the 2 year workmanship warranty (I asked and the owner personally called me and assured me they stand by their work, which was appreciated), but I hope this was still a good decision and a good deal!

Thank you all for your help and guidance on this big purchase!

• PRO
    7 years ago

Sounds like a good choice. Keep us posted and put up some before and after pictures. Your thread will help future purchasers make wiser decisions.

• PRO
    7 years ago

I think that you made the right choice there Sarah, it should serve you well for many years to come. :)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

As nice as a life time labor warranty sounds, most labor related issues happen within the first six months of installation.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are the before and after pictures - exterior then interior of the Inlerial LS installation. Let me know what you think! Just got home and it's getting dark so I didn't have much time to really check them out, but overall I think they look good. What should I be looking for?

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is it correct that the Imperial LS double hung windows have two locks instead of one? I don't know why I was thinking there would be one. I never saw them in person, just the lower models like the Pro.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Number of locks depends on the width of the window.

Looks very clean. Great job.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    6 years ago
    Most windows will come standard with double locks at certain widths usually 26 to 32 inches and above. You may have only been thinking one lock on the other models because you likely saw a smaller sample which are usually around 20 in width for ease of caring around
    saraheesmith thanked Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
  • PRO
    6 years ago

+1. Looks nice and clean. The install looks properly square as well. :)

• jkpainter1017
    2 years ago

Saraheesmth: how are the imperial windows holding up? Have you had any problems with them? Still happy with your choice?

• 3birdy
    2 years ago

@saraheesmith Pls let us know how you feel about your windows? Do u wish you had done anything different? trying to pick windows and would love to hear your experience

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jkpainter1017 @3birdy We love our windows!! There isnt anything we would do differently. The main thing I would focus on is finding an installer you trust.

• 3birdy
    2 years ago

@saraheesmith - thanks for getting back...

• PRO
    Mikella
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's now 2023 and I'm looking at windows. I am in Texas and have direct sunlight on some of my windows that really heat up. What is the latest / greatest recommendation in double hung windows? I'm looking at Soft-lite due to this and a few other posts, but only 2 dealers in Austin which I thought was odd. Advice, anyone? WoW? Everyone wants to sell me the Simonton 5500 for some reason, or Anderson.

• millworkman
    last year

Texas has issues with the heat and sun which is why there may be fewer vinyl dealers. Don Young aluminum may be a better option for you.

• PRO
    Mikella
    last year

@millworkman interesting, no one has suggested aluminum to me. I'll look into it.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

Not sure if Don Young will meet energy code, Randy at Ultra Windows is go to expert in Texas.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    last year

Good points. A good thermally-broken aluminum window is going to last longer and hold up better than vinyl in the Texas sun while offering narrower profiles and a sleak appearance. However, as Todd said, they likely won't meet the numbers required for a permit in Austin these days.

Soft-lite makes a very nice line of vinyl windows, but the two companies that offer them in Texas are not companies that I would deal with. One charges an arm and a leg and the other is hit and miss. Unfortunately, premium grade vinyl windows aren't widely distributed in Texas.

I would consider NT Windows (Presidential, Energy Master, Traditions) before Simonton or Andersen. It's not a top-tier window, but it is made in Texas, is widely distributed and better than most vinyl windows offered in the great state of Texas.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer