SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hominamad

Please help identify this.... pest?

hominamad
7 years ago

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I'll give it a shot.

For the last 2-3 years, we noticed in one particular area of my son's closet, there are what looks to be some sort of droppings spread on a shelf that is pretty high up. When we clean them off, they reappear again within a few weeks. I have never seen droppings like these before, and am not entirely sure that they even ARE droppings. They are irregular shaped, white, and almost crystalline looking. Also, they appear in areas where I can't see how any type of animal could get to. it is on a high shelf, with no sort of holes, etc around for an animal to come through.

A few other mysteries...they even stuck to a spider web that was on the shelf. We also had a container sitting on the shelf and they even filled up in there. So this means to me that they must be dropping from above, but the shelf above it has absolutely none of this evidence, and I'm not even sure how it could get through the top shelf and spread around like this.

After doing some research, I started to think maybe this is from termites, but there is no other evidence of termites around.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Animal? Insect? Something else? Should we call an exterminator?

Here are some pics of the crime scene. I see no obvious way any sort of critters could get onto this shelf.

In addition to the whitish bits, there is also a group of these smaller, darker particles. Must be droppings but from what, and from where?

Comments (3)