SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlygirlie1189

Please help identify pests!

curlygirlie1189
6 years ago

I have two raised beds, each 4x4. In one, I have tomato and pepper transplants. In the other, I have bean, carrot, and zucchini seeds.

Two days after planting, my tomato and pepper plants had their leaves stripped, leaving just the stem. I figured it was rabbits, so I put up a 2-ft chicken wire fence and replaced the damaged plants. A few days later, those new tomatoes and peppers got their leaves stripped too. I reinforced the fence, spread Rabbit Scram, spread my husband's hair around the plants after giving him a haircut, and even sprayed some Sevin on the plants in case it was bugs. A few days later, the tomato plant in the very center, and the jalapeno plant in the other raised bed, had its leaves stripped to the stem. One of the tomato branches was kinda hanging there by a thread, like it had been chomped instead of chewed by bugs. At this point they have finally left my grape, cherry, and Better Boy tomato alone....hopefully because they have gotten a tiny bit bigger and more established. As for the seedlings, my beans have started to come up. A few of them have big leaves on them like expected. The others do not have leaves...being a rookie gardener, I'm not sure if those seedlings simply haven't sprouted leaves yet or had their leaves stripped by a pest.

I am so confused about what could be getting to my plants. Could rabbits seriously be getting through all of my defenses? Could birds be coming in? We do have house finches around. Squirrels??

Here is the Early Girl...you can see where the stem was broken, as well as the new leaves that are starting to come forward and have not been taken yet for some reason.

Here is the damage to the green bell pepper:

Here is the jalapeno:

And here are the bean seedlings (it was very hard to get a clear picture):

Comments (11)