SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_schweppe

Pool landscaping conundrum...

7 years ago

My husband and I are going to do some landscaping in our backyard. Our pool is situated about four feet away from an open fence that faces a greenbelt, and we want to plant something that will give us privacy. The challenge is, we don't want to plant anything that will a) drop too many leaves b) get too tall c) be too expensive or d) have invasive roots that will damage the pool.

We've had three different landscapers come in to give us estimates and design ideas. The first one suggested planting Mediterranean palm trees by the fence. However, another landscaper told us the roots would cause havoc, the trees won't cover much of the fence and eventually, the trees will get too tall.

Another landscaper suggested bougainvilleas. While those would be pretty, I think they'll be a nightmare by the pool with how much they litter. Our neighbor has one on their side of the house and we catch some of the flowers from their bush in our pool sometimes.

The third landscaper suggested hibiscus columns - which of the three options, seems like the most logical even though they'll require some ongoing maintenance.

But before we decide, does anyone have feedback on planting rules near pools when it comes to root systems? One landscaper is all about palms, another says they are a terrible idea. And just to further confuse myself, I asked a pool builder and he said if the palm's root system is a ball, it's fine.

So, gardeners, can I plant palms 4 feet from my pool or not? If yes, what kinds do you suggest? If no, what other options do you suggest for privacy? I'm ok with flowering plants if they don't litter much but would like to stick with things that are relatively easy to keep alive and that aren't known to attract pests. Photos for your consideration.

I appreciate your help and ideas!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH