SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

My DIY French blackout roman shades in progress

pippiep
7 years ago

I started a few other posts with my current project of making roman shades for my whole house. I have little sewing experience other than hemming pants, but I watched a ton of tutorials, made three practice shades, then made two "real" ones for the dining room.

Now I've started on the family room shades, which need to be blackout. I tried using blackout fabric, but since I'm using iron-on rib tape, that didn't work. The fabric puckered and the tape didn't adhere well at all. I decided to try the French blackout method of using a layer of black sateen in between the face fabric and the cotton lining. My face fabric is dark so I didn't need the flannel interlayer that is common with French blackout.

I'm tying the rings in place instead of sewing. I found that tip in this video. The first knots came undone and my rings fell off, so I realized I have to triple-knot them.

I'm using fiberglass ribs from Rowley, because they end up being <50 cents per rib and are so much nicer than wooden dowels.

I've found all my fabric at fabricguru.com. Great selection and prices! I have a bazillion samples.

I'm using a continuous loop kit, also from Rowley. The EZ Rig system. I have to do an outside mount for most of the windows, and that system seems to have the smallest projection. I like that I don't need a header/dust board with it. I install the brackets, and the metal header clicks into it like blinds you would buy from the big box stores. This makes it easy to take the shade down for whatever reason. Also, you can adjust the centering. LOVE this system.

By making these myself, I'm saving 400-600 PER SHADE. I'd gotten several quotes and they were so out of budget! I figured I can draw straight lines, cut on a line, and sew pretty straight... so I could do this.

I love making these! It's been so fun. I spend the most amount of time deciding on pattern placement and trying to line things up when I have more than one shade to make. After that, it takes less than 5 hours to complete a shade. I haven't been able to finish one in a single day, so I don't know for sure. But once I get sewing, it's blazing fast. The layout/cutting takes the longest! Not to mention the math and measurements!!

Here are some pics of these shades in progress. I didn't have enough fabric for four identical shades, so I had to find two different layouts. I settled on these:

Lining up the layers:

Tying on the rings:

Sneak peak of nearly-completed shade!

Comments (29)